Trogir

Trogir


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Seventeen miles west of Split on the Adriatic Coast lay the historic Croatian harbour town of Trogir, renowned for its fortified walls and stunning Romanesque, Renaissance and Baroque architecture.

Trogir was founded by Greeks in the third century BC as Tragurion (‘tragos’ is Greek for ‘male goat’) and boasts 2,300 years of continuous urban tradition in its narrow, maze-like streets.

Over the last two millennia, it has been ruled and populated by the Greeks, Romans, Venetians, the Hapsburg Empire, the French, the Yugoslavs and finally today, the modern-day Croatians.

For such a small island (wedged between the mainland and the larger island of Ciovo), there is a very high concentration of churches, palaces, fortresses and towers and one advantage of successive and eclectic rule is the architecture that each group left behind. You’ll find some stunning examples of grand Romanesque, Renaissance and Baroque buildings, both public and domestic and the town was conferred UNESCO World Heritage Site status in 1997 as it is, in UNESCO’s own words, ‘a remarkable example of urban continuity’.

Three hours and 258km from Dubrovnik, Trogir is a beautifully picturesque harbour town with a beautiful seafront promenade that relies on tourism as one of its primary income sources and as such, there’s a proliferation of hotels and apartments, bars, cafés, restaurants and everything you could need for a few days here.

Trogir is also one of the most famous Game of Thrones filming locations being the site of the mythical city of Qarth, ‘the greatest city that ever was or will be’ situated on the Jade Gates and brimming with wealth and stunning architecture.


History of Trogir

Aparthotel Bellevue
Exceptional 9.5 from 62 €

Hotel Pasike
Very good 8.3 from 90 €

Hotel Trogir Palace
Fabulous 8.9 from 90 €

History of Trogir

The area around the town had been inhabited since prehistoric times. The old Greeks had founded settlement and named it Tragorion in the 3rd century BC. The name was derived from the Greek word tragos, which means goat, for nearby mountain was full of goats.

After Romans had conquered Tragorion and turned it to a Roman municipality in the 1st century BC, they renamed it to Tragurium. The famous Roman historian Pliny mentioned Trogir as "marmore notum" or "known for marble" due to a marble quarry near town.

Nearby Salona, as the metropolis of the Roman province of Dalmatia, partly diminished the importance of Trogir. After the Slavs and Avars ruined Salona, its inhabitants fled to Trogir, that was the beginning of the town's rise on the political and economical scene of those times.

In the 9th century, Trogir was under the Croatian rule. After Croatia was annexed to Hungary, Trogir was granted the status of the free city in 1107.

From the beginning of the 15th century until the end of the 18th century, the city was under the Venetian rule. After that, Trogir was ruled by the Austrians and French until 1918, when the city, along with the rest of Croatia, became part of the common state of South Slavic nations.

Historical attractions - what to see in Trogir

The old city's core - Trogir is regarded as the best preserved Romanesque - Gothic city of the Central Europe. Due to that, the entire old city's core has been enlisted in UNESCO's World Heritage List since 1997.

Trogir Cathedral - Cathedral of St. Lawrence, called the Trogir Cathedral, is a marvelous triple-naved basilica built in Romanesque-Gothic style. The construction started in the 13th century and lasted until the 17th century, when Cathedral gained its present appearance.

Before you step into its gorgeous interior, enjoy the view of a portal, the majestic art work of the local master sculptor Radovan.

Cipiko Palace - The palace is located opposite the Cathedral and presents another impressive monument of Romanesque-Gothic architecture.

Kamerlengo Castle - The castle and the fortress Kamerlengo was built in the mid 15th century during the Venetian rule. Today, Kamerlengo is used as a venue of cultural performances during the summer months.

Trogir Museum - The museum is housed in a beautiful Garagnin - Fanfogna palace, built in variety of architectural styles, from Romanesque to Baroque.

Monastery of St. Nicholas - Benedictine Monastery of St. Nicholas keeps valuable collection of archaeological exhibits along with other art and historical heritage.

The most popular display is an old Greek relief that presents Kairos, the Greek god of auspicious moments. He will remind you that you always have to be awake, in order to recognize and grab a chance you have been given at the certain moment.



Trogir is an amphibian city, so old that its foundations - Illyrian, Hellenistic and Roman, under the current medieval versions &ndash literally grow up out of Adriatic. The space of the prehistoric settlement was more or less the same as that of historical Tragurion, which was an island, or an island connected to the mainland with a narrow isthmus. Find go back 2000 BC. After 219 BC (the end of the Second Illyrian War) it become an important entrepot port of the Issa or Vis community. A Greek inscription incorporporated into the courtyard of the Benedictine nuns alongside the south door mentions the magistrates of the parent colony of Issa that governed the fillial colonies on the land. The grid of streets and residential blocks (insulae with a ratio of 1:2,5) of the central part of the city show all the perpendicularity typical of Greek urban planning.


In the 1st century BC it is mentioned as oppidum civium Romanorum. In the small Cipiko palace on the main square a paving that once belonged to the agora/forum has been found. Around Trogir a centuriation unit separate from Salona ager has been preserved, showing the later limitation. This is connected with Pliny's report that Empror Claudius sent his veterans to the place called Siculi (today's Resnik by Trogir). The same writer says that Trogir was marmore notum &ndash noted for its marble, a fine stone that because of the ease with which it would take modelling and the gold colour it got from polishing was found in all the more important decorative parts of Diocletian's Palace (the Gold Gate, the portals of imperial mausoleum and the temple of Jupiter), and also in Radovan's Portal and the sculptures of Dukno


Trogir survived the Avar-Slav assault and destruction through the first half of the 7th century with a few other Antique settlements on the mainland (Zadar, Split, Kotor), emancipating itself after destruction of Salona to become an independent civitas. The Croatian princes and kings occasionally stayed in Trogir, residing in nearby Bijaći. The most eloquent Trogir monument of that time is the little basilica of St Martin (or St Barbara) on the main cardo, behind the city loggia on the square.
After the downfall of independent Croatian state, Koloman of the Arpad dynasty was crowned king of Croatia in Biograd in 1102 a crucial role in his peaceful assumption of power in Croatia and the cities on the coast was played by Bishop of Trogir John (died in 1111), whom Trogir, for the many miracles hat he performed, was afterwards to celebrated as blessed and patron of the town. The Middle Ages was a time of genuine self-confidence and reference to the town's own historical line, of ancient roots of course. The comune signed a treaty of alliance with Ancona invoking the common ancient origins. Antiquity, as alter ego, is seen in the construction of Trogir Cathedral and the palaces in the town, just as much as it clearly refers to the bell tower in Split.
Trogir sopravvissuto la distruzione degli Avari fino alla prima metà del settimo secolo con pochi altri insediamenti antichi del continente ( Zara, Spalato , Cattaro ) , emanciparsi se stesso dopo la distruzione di Salona di diventarsi una civita indipendente. I principi e re croati occasionalmente sono stati a Trogir , nelle vicinanze residente a Bijaći .
Il piu`famoso monumento in Trogir di quel tempo era la piccola basilica di San Martino (o di Santa Barbara ) situata sul cardo principale , dietro la loggia , sulla piazza principale . Dopo la caduta di stato croato indipendente , Koloman della dinastia degli Arpad fu incoronato re di Croazia a Biograd nel 1102 , un ruolo cruciale nella sua assunzione pacifica i n Croazia è stato interpretato da Vescovo Giovanni di Trogir (morto nel 1111) , che Trogir , per i molti miracoli ha eseguito è stata poi a festeggiato come benedetto e patrono della città .

In the Middle Ages, the people of Trogir chose as their retors feudal magnates of the Croats, mainly from the mighty clan of the &Scaronubić family. After the Treaty of Zadar in 1358 the city was an important point on the Angevin meridian that ran from Naples via Hungary to the Baltic. In June 1420 the Venetian fleet took Trogir, one of the last cities that had not wanted to surrender to Venice after it had in 1409 bought Dalmatia from Ladislav of Naples for 100,000 ducats. A bombardment lasted for serveral days, and there were many dead, many demolished houses and places, damaged towers, damaged walls. One of the first acts of the new Venetian Major Council in Trogir related to the ban of the official use of the Croatian language, on May 22, 1426. The Council ordered that no language but Italian or Latin could be spoken in the city. On the other hand, it was in Venetian Dalmatia that Croatian vernacular Renaisance literature was born at that time, which in Dalmatia itself was considerably more important than the written in the Italian. Not by chance, it is precisely in Trogir, that the most important anthology of Croatian writings of the 15th and 16th century has been preserved: the manuscript compilation of Petar Lucić called Vartal (Garden) made for the use of the nuns of convent St Nicholas. A genuine Humanist republic was formed in the town in the Renaissance with a whole galaxy of names, among which that of Koriolan Cipiko stands out. Not far from the city, for the safety of his serfs and for his own pleasing country life, he bulid a castello (Ka&scarontel Stari), the first in a string around Trogir. Petar Cipiko, Koriolan's father, a collector of monuments and codices was &bdquoone of the first archeologists of Humanist Europe&ldquo (T. Mommsen).

In the second half of the 13th and throughout the 14th century what was called Brogo-Varo&scaron (Pasike) was bulid onto the oval ring of the Romanesque city, a refletion of the original geological form of the low islet on which Trogir is formed. At the time of the Angevins, the last quarter of the 14th century, Varo&scaron was grit with walls and fortified with towers. In the mid-15th century the construction of the great castello called Karmelengo on the south west corner was completed. A particulary intersting approach was the making of a road via which, from the mainland, over a bridge, through the space between walls of the Renaissance bulwark and the other city ramparts it was possible to cross over the bridge to the island of Čiovo without entering the town, around the eastern part of it. In 1646, the old bridge to the mainland was knocked down and a new moving bridge was built, the barbicans were reinforced, board platforms and Baroque bastions to the north were built. During the period of French rule at the beginning of the 19th century they started a &bdquosanitary demolition&ldquo of the city walls, this was continued during the time of Austrian rule, which was particulary aimed at regulating the Fo&scarona (earlier, a much wider channel between city and mainland) because of the sedimentation of mud.

There were a number of city gates in the walls. Over the northern land gate is a statue of the Blessed John. The southern, maritime gate, in a Mannerist style, is the work of workshop of the Bokanićes. The original wooden door studded with huge nails is preserved. By it is loggia that was used for those who were late after the evening closing of the gate (and afterwards, for a fish market). Also still to be found in the medival city wall onto the south are the Vitturi Tower, part of the Benedictine convent of St Nicholas, and St Nicholas' Tower, west of the maritime gate.


Arts and Culture in Trogir

Aparthotel Bellevue
Exceptional 9.5 from 62 €

Hotel Pasike
Very good 8.3 from 90 €

Hotel Vila Sikaa
Fabulous 8.6 from 87 €

What to see in Trogir - arts and culture

Take a walk through the old city's core and you will see that every single stone in Trogir tells a story about culture, history and art.

Pinathotek - the collection of sacred arts preserves a precious artistic and written heritage of Trogir churches, including works of Blaz Jurjev Trogiranin, the famous painter from the 15th century.

"All Saints" Gallery - The art gallery is housed in the church of the same name. This simple church was built in the 16th century. The painting of All Saints has been preserved in the apse of the church.

Cultural and artistic events in Trogir

Kairos Festival - international festival of the happy moment is held usually in mid-June and lasts for three days. This manifestation provides a number of cultural and entertainment events related to the town's history, with emphasis on the Ancient times.

Concerts, street performances, antique fair, the ball of Kairos and many other happy moments will take you back to the ancient history.

Medieval Fair - the fair takes place at the beginning of May. Don't be afraid to step into the Middle Ages - you will find out that it wasn't so dark as you might have thought. Enjoy the Medieval moment and learn more about crafts, clothing and food of those times.

Trogir Summer Festival - the Festival is held during summer months and offers a variety of cultural and entertainment events. Many international and local artists perform their arts in charming ambiences of the old city's core and Kamerlengo castle.
Enjoy concerts of classical music, chamber music, plays and exhibitions.

If you are fond of more hedonistic pleasures, don't miss the Fisherman's evenings, a folk manifestation of fun, delicious food and wine that is held several times during the Festival.

Municipality Day - in the mid-November, Trogir celebrates its patron saint, St. John of Trogir, a bishop who was a significant figure in the history. He died in 1111, and was beatified in 1192.


Trogir

On February 9, 2019. I decided to visit Trogir, a small coastal town 20 kilometers away from Split. Prior to that time, I had only a small portion of knowledge about it. All I knew was the fact that Trogir was a town with an interesting Cathedral to visit.
After my visit, I can say Trogir is a small UNESCO pearl which will hardly leave anyone unimpressed. Those who like sightseeing will want to return to Trogir again and again.

Table of Contents

NOTICE: Our posts may contain affiliate links. When you click on an affiliate link and complete a booking, we get a small percentage in order to keep our website up and running with the least number of ads.

How to get to Trogir

My starting destination was Split. I used a car as a means of transport. The journey from Split was good. There was no traffic jam, and the road was fantastic. Most of the time my driving speed was 60 - 80 km/hour. The journey took around half an hour. Even during the high season, there are no traffic jams on the route Trogir - Split due to the great two-lane road.

After passing Kastela and Split Airport, there was a sign which showed Trogir. It was really easy to access and approach the town. I left my car on the first parking after the roundabout, which is less than 1 kilometre away from the old town. The parking was free because I was visiting during winter.

If you plan to go for a visit during summer, you can expect more cars on the road but it shouldn't make a difference. Parking price will be higher (around 0.80 euros) per hour. Parking in the centre of the town is more expensive, so I recommend avoiding it.

If you plan to visit Croatia without a car, there are many bus lines from all major Croatian cities. You can buy a ticket online, or at the bus station, whichever you prefer.

Accommodation in Trogir

The most impressive accommodation place is Villa Royal, located 1 kilometre away from the old town. Although it's a luxury building with a swimming pool and a view of the sea, the price for a two-person room is less than 150 euros/night.

Check out all accommodation options on the map below, provided by our partner booking.com
As you can see from the map, there are many great accommodation deals in 2021 since the number of visitors is decreased.

History of Trogir

Trogir was established by Greeks in 3th century BC as a colony of Vissa, under the name Tragurion.
During Roman age it was under the authority of Salona (today's Solin). Roman sources mention Trogir as a city.

The first Christians arrived in the 3rd century from Solin. It is known that St. Duje, today's patron saint of Split, influenced Trogir's Christians.

The first Croats arrived in the 8th century when Trogir was part of early Croatian country. So it remained until 1102 when the Croatian country was taken over by the Hungarians.

During the reign of Venice, the Turkish army was harassing Europe. They tried to conquer the town but never succeeded.

After the dissolution of the Venetian state, the town fell under Napoleon's authority in 1806 and stayed until 1814. That period was marked by the development of education in the city.

After the fall of Napoleon, Austria took over the city and stayed there until 1918, when Yugoslavia was born.

Today's Trogir is part of the Republic of Croatia, and it is one of the most favourite tourist destinations among local and foreign visitors since it features beautiful architecture.

Trogir main square

The most amazing place in Trogir is the main square, surrounded by The Cathedral of St. Lawrence, the Church of Blessed Virgin Marry, city lodge, and city Hall. Its atmosphere is comparable to the most beautiful world squares.

One of the first buildings you will notice is The Cathedral of St. Lawrence. It is a UNESCO protected Gothic masterpiece of art.

There are a few points of visitor's interest related to the Cathedral: the Cathedral Portal (entrance), bell tower, the Cathedral interior, and treasury.

The most important cultural attraction of the cathedral is Portal (main entrance), made by Radovan in the 13th century. It is considered to be a masterpiece of Gothic art. Even if you are not an expert in art, you will enjoy the view of the Portal.

Most of the paintings located inside the Cathedral originate from later periods, Renaissance and Baroque.

Price for climbing bell tower is 2 euros. It took me five minutes to climb to the top. I had a nice view of Trogir and Čiovo.

The City Lodge, located opposite to the Cathedral, used to be a public courtroom. It is notable for its 6 pillars decorated with capitals and two reliefs carved into the wall. Unfortunately, during summer you can't clearly see the pillars since there is a coffee bar just nearby.
But what you can see clearly is a relief called The Relief of Justice made by Nicholas Florentino. Its located inside the Lodge, on the east wall. It displays a blindfolded woman caring weighing scale, which is a sign of justice. Above the woman is inscription Pro Aequitate, Latin expression which means "for equity".

The second sculpture, made by Ivan Meštrović, is dedicated to Croatian bishop Petar Berislavic.

Just near the Lodge, there is St. Sebastian's church with the clock tower. At the entrance to the church, there are two sculptures: one depicts St. Sebastian the Martyr, and the other depicts Christ.
It's worth mentioning a museum of sacral art near the church.

The next building surrounding the main square is City Hall. It is a combination of various artistic styles. Today it's location of the tourist board office.

Trogir features many interesting palaces of noble families. Cipko Palace stands out the most among them. It's Reinnesance building located opposite the Cathedral, on the western side.

Riva in Trogir

After visiting impressive main square, it was time to take a walk on Riva.
The atmosphere on Riva is relaxed, with locals and visitors sitting in coffee bars and enjoying the sun. I felt the same atmosphere like in Split, Sibenik and other ancient coastal towns in Croatia.

There are numerous tourist agencies organizing tours to nearby islands Brac, Hvar, Korcula, Bisevo etc. Some of them are available to reserve online.

Fortress Kamerlengo

The second most famous cultural attraction is Fortress Kamerlengo. It was built by Venice in the 15th century for the purpose of defence against the Osman Empire. Venice, which at that time had the rule over most of Dalmatian coast, built similar fortresses in other towns. Especially featured are Sibenik fortresses.

The fortress is trapeze-shaped with four towers at its angles.
Unfortunately, I couldn't enter the fortress because it was closed. Visitors can enter inside only during summer.

I returned to Trogir on August 27, 2019. The fortress was opened. I paid 25 kunas (around 3.5 euros) for entering the fortress. The climbing took around 10 minutes. The stairs were a little tough at the times (I recommend not to wear flip-flops while climbing the fortress), but it was worth the effort and money. View from the top of the fortress was amazing. You can see how beautiful Trogir really is.

Trogir museum

The city museum is located close to the Cathedral. The museum features archaeological remains from all ages. The earliest exhibits are from the Greek (Hellenic) period.

Exhibition of the museum takes place in several rooms. One of them is dedicated to the modern art of the 20th century. You can see amazing pieces of art made by oil painting on canvas.

The second room features stone works mostly from the Middle Ages and Renaissance. There you can see how did the living room of a rich noble family from Trogir look like in the 17th century.

St. Dominic's church

St. Dominic's church, located near fortress Kamerlengo, is another gothic masterpiece of art. The main portal features tympanum which depicts Our Lady, St. Mary Magdalen, and St. Augustine.

St. Peter's church

Baroque lunette of on the church of St. Peter was built by Nikola Firentinac, famous architect and sculptor who also participated in the construction of Sibenik Cathedral.

There are many other buildings, churches and sculptures located in Trogir. I let you explore them by yourself, and enjoy the atmosphere of this amazing UNESCO city.

Island Čiovo

Čiovo is an island located just near Trogir. It features nice apartments, beaches and restaurants.
There are two bridges connecting the island with the land. One of them is occasionally closed due to the passage of ships.

Find updated info about events and tourist offer of the town on Trogir's tourist board website.


About Trogir City

Trogir is one of the most seductive towns on the Dalmatian coast, a compact brown-beige welter of places, jutting belfries ad shambling streets fanning out from an antique central square. Trogir is tiny, medieval-architecture-packed town surrounded by water. Founded by Greeks from Vis in the third century BC, Trogir can compare with any of the towns on the coast in terms of historic sights, and its cathedral is one of the finest in the Adriatic. Trogir is a remarkable example of urban continuity. The orthogonal street plan of this island settlement dates back to the Hellenistic period and it was embellished by successive rulers with many fine public and domestic buildings and fortifications. Its beautiful Romanesque churches are complemented by the outstanding Renaissance and Baroque buildings from the Venetian period.

Trogir is a historic town with harbour on the Adriatic coast in the Split-Dalmatia County in Croatia. Its has population of 10,818 and a total municipality population of 13,260. The historic city Trogir is situated on a small island between the Croatian mainland and the island of Ciovo. It is situated 27 kilometres (17 miles) to the West from the Split. Since 1997, the historic centre of Trogir entered the UNESCO’s list of World Heritage Sites. In the III century B.C, Greek colonists from the Vis island founded Tragurion. It was a major port until the Roman period. The name originates from the Greek “tragos” (male goat). Similarly, the name of the neighboring island Bua originates from the Greek “voua” (herd of cattle). The sudden prosperity of Salona deprived Trogir of its importance. During the Slavs migration, citizens of destroyed Salona escaped to Trogir. From the IX century, Trogir paid tribute to Croatian rulers.

The diocese of Trogir was established in the XI century (and abolished in 1828 it is now part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Split-Makarska). In 1107, it was chartered by the Hungarian-Croatian king Coloman, thus gaining its autonomy as a town. In 1123, Saracens conquered and almost completely demolished Trogir. However, Trogir recovered in a short time and powerful economic prosperity in the XII and the XIII century followed. As he fled from Tatars in 1242, king Bela IV found refuge in this town. In the XIII and the XIV century, members of the Subic family were most frequently elected as dukes by the citizens of Trogir Mladen III (1348.), according to the inscription on the sepulchral slab in the Cathedral of St. Lawrence called “The Shield of the Croats”, was one of the most prominent Subics. In Dalmatia, the city was known as Tragur.

Trogir has 2300 years of urban tradition. Its culture was created under the influence of the ancient Greeks, and afterwards the Romans and Venetians. Trogir has abundant variety of palaces, churches and towers, as well as a fortress on a small island. In 1997, it was included in the UNESCO’s World Heritage List. “The orthogonal street plan of this island settlement dates back to the Hellenistic period and it was embellished by successive rulers with many fine public and domestic buildings and fortifications. Its beautiful Romanesque churches are complemented by the outstanding Renaissance and Baroque buildings from the Venetian period”, said the UNESCO report. Trogir is the best preserved Romanesque-Gothic complex not only in the Adriatic, but in all of the Central Europe. Trogir’s Medieval city core, surrounded by walls, comprises a preserved castle, a tower and a series of houses and palaces from the Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque periods. Trogir’s grandest building is the Cathedral of St. Lawrence. Its main West portal is a masterpiece of Radovan, and the most significant work of the Romanesque-Gothic style in Croatia.

Trogir is an excellent example of a Medieval town. Conforming with the layout of a Hellenistic and Roman city it was built on, it has conserved its urban fabric to an exceptional degree and with the minimum of modern interventions. Trajectory of its social and cultural development is clearly visible in every aspect of the town scape. Trogir is a remarkable example of urban tradition. The orthogonal street plan of this island settlement dates back to the Hellenistic period and it was embellished by successive rulers with many fine public and domestic buildings and fortifications. Its beautiful Romanesque churches are complemented by the outstanding Renaissance and Baroque buildings from the Venetian period. Greek colonists from the Vis island in the III century B.C. founded the ancient town of Tragurion (Island of goats). It was a trading settlement located on an islet at the Western end of the Manios bay, in a strait between the mainland and one of the Adriatic islands, on a place of existing small settlement.

The Hellenistic town was enclosed by megalithic walls and its streets were laid out on a Hippodamian grid plan: the line of the ancient cardo maximus is that of the modern main street. The town flourished in the Roman period as an oppidum civium romanorum during the late Roman period, it was extended and refortified. Extensive Roman cemeteries have been discovered, and a basilica was erected in one of them. Although it was not made a bishopric in the early Christian period, Trogir was endowed with two large aisled basilicas, sited where the latter-day Cathedral of St. Lawrence and Benedictine Church of St. John the Baptist now stand.

In the second half of the IX century, Trogir became part of the Byzantine theme of Dalmatia, with its capital Zadar, and it was occupied by Venice at the end of the X century. Early Medieval Trogir expanded to the South. New fortifications were constructed. At the beginning of the XII century, Trogir accepted Hungarian rule when the theme of Dalmatia was overrun. There was a short period of Venetian rule in the early XIV century, but it was not until 1420. that the town became part of the Venetian empire. Between the XIII and XV century, many new buildings were constructed. Among them were the Cathedral of St. Lawrence and the Kemerlengo Castle, a radical remodeling of the main square. There were also two campaigns of fortifications reconstruction and strengthening. The Treaty of Campo Formio (1797.) gave Trogir to the Austro-Hungarian Empire, to which it belonged until 1918, apart from a short period under French rule, as part of Illyrian provinces. Contemporary Trogir plan reflects the Hellenistic layout in the location, dimensions, and shapes of its residential blocks. The two ancient main streets, the cardo and the decumanus, are still in use, and paving of the forum has been located by excavation at their intersection.

Ancient Tragurion lies at the Eastern end of the islet this spread out in the earlier Medieval period. The Medieval suburb of Pasike was spreading to the West on a different alignment and was enclosed by the later fortifications. The port was located on the Southern side. Finally, the massive Venetian fortifications incorporated the Genoese fortress known as the Kamerlengo Castle. Construction of the Cathedral of St. Lawrence, built on the site of an earlier basilica and dominating the main square, began approximately in 1200. and was continued in the late XVI century. This relatively protracted period of construction was a consequence of successive architectural styles – Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance. It is a three-aisled basilica, each of the aisles terminating in an apse. Inside the porch at the West end is the baptistery. Of the numerous aristocratic palaces, the Cippico Palace, facing the West end of the cathedral, is the most outstanding one: complex of its structures is covering an entire town block. Most of it dates back to XIII century, with incorporated elements from the late Roman period. During XV century, the owner invited three most celebrated artists of the time to embellish its facade and interior. Scattered around the town and, in particular near the ramparts, there are palaces of other eminent families. Many of them were built on foundations of late Classical or Romanesque structures and their styles vary from Gothic to Baroque.

The Kamerlengo Castle – Trogir’s fortifications are specific monuments, that gives the whole city a Medieval character. The small walls fragments are located in the Northern and the Western part of the city. The XIII century front South walls, as well as the Fort of St. Nicholas (kula sv. Nikole) and Fort Vitturi (kula Vitturi) have been well preserved. They have notable Romanesque characteristics – openings with sickle shaped arches and covered sentry walk along the walls. They are unique fortifications examples from those times. In the XIV century, the Genoese built a nine-sided tower in the Western corner of the city, a bit further from the old city core. It was supposed to be their navy base in the Adriatic. When the Venetians occupied Trogir in 1420, they combined this tower with the strong Kamerlengo fortress. It reveals the traces of construction stages. It was named after Kamerlengo (camerarius), the public servant, in charge of financial and economic affairs. After restoration and preservation, the fortress battlements and its top became accessible. They provide a stunning view of the city. This XIV century fortress was built for easier control of the harbor and the bay of Kastela. It is a most imposing fortress, that used to be connected to the city walls. It was built by the Genoans in the XIV century. In 1941, it was the place, where Fascist occupiers massacred locals. A memorial plaque notes that event.

The Cathedral of St. Lawrence – is the town’s centerpiece, located on the main square. Built between the XIII and XVII century, the cathedral has a rich history. The bell tower alone took 200 years to build, thus becoming a textbook lesson of the Dalmatian architectural styles: Gothic at the bottom, Venetian Gothic in the middle and Renaissance at the top. The cathedral’s front entry – the ornately decorated, recently restored Radovan’s portal – is worth seeing. Inside, it’s dark, with many altars. The treasury features some beautiful XV century carved-wood cabinets, filled with ecclesiastical art and gear.

Romanesque portal – the local architect and sculptor Master Radovan worked on cathedral’s gateway (main West portal) during early stages of its construction. Most of the portal was carved by the master himself, and some part by his pupils and followers. Finished and signed in 1240, it is a monumental and, perhaps, unique work of this great Croatian artist. Inscription in the base of the lunette is dedicated to him: The best of all in this artisanship. In terms of thematic concept, the portal is divided into two parts: upper and lower. The upper part shows scenes from the Gospels, that is, the life of the Christ. There is the scene of the Nativity on a lunette, and inside the arch above lunette, there are angels looking adoringly at the scene. The lunette and this arch are the work of Master Radovan. Above them, there is another arch with scenes from the life of Christ. On the interior of the doorposts, there are pictures of various works from different seasons. Radovan also worked on the two small columns covered in relief. The saints and apostles are pictured on the exterior doorpost, and the interior of the same doorpost is decorated with figures of exotic animals and fantastic creatures, like Centaurs and mermaids. Human forms dominate the portal. Both the internal and external doorposts rest on the back of bent over bearers, also the work of Radovan himself. Beside the portal, there are pictures of Adam and Eve standing on the backs of two lions.

H.A.N.D. DAYS – TROGIR – From the June 5th – 7th, 2015. This year’s event will represent the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Croatian participants (traditional crafts, indigenous cuisine, handicrafts, local products, folk customs, etc.). It’s an international event, that includes the following project: H.A.N.D. DAYS – TROGIR (Heritage, Art crafts, Nature, Domestic). This is a second year of this project and it will contain several segments: from presenting arts and crafts, traditional crafts, local cuisine and drinks at the fair to the entertainment program – from folk customs to traditional dances and music. Presentation of the diverse cultural traditional crafts will take place on fair presentations and workshops. The presentation includes: experience exchange, technology and intangible heritage valorization. The main socio-cultural goal of the project is preservation of the local identity in the times of globalization. Activities include: fair presentations, workshops, various exhibitions, folk groups performances and local cousine presentations.

The days of ancient Tragurium – Ancient fair will take place during all festival days. The exhibitors will sell handicrafts, natural products, authentic food, antiques and handmade products on the town streets. Special focus will be on the Mediterranean products, traded in an era when Trogir was a Greek colony Tragurium (like an olive oil and olive oil products, wine, liqueurs, dried fruits, herbs, spices, smoked and salt-cured meat, fish, cheese, authentic cuisine, clay, ceramic, wooden and metal products, jewelry made of natural materials, natural cosmetics, etc.)
Street performers In ancient times, art was created on the streets, squares, at the market places. During the Festival, Trogir will be a special place of joy and happiness… dancers, musicians, acrobats, jugglers …. all of them will have their special place on the streets of this eternal city.
The visual artists will paint in an open area Greeks god Kairos in his fly, trying to catch their happy moment. Ancient cuisine will be presented by Trogir restaurants and by the restaurants from others ancient towns. Ancient sport games Special charm to this festival will bring competition in Antique sport games such as rowing, sailing, rubs, Antique football, Antique bowl game. All these games have been created in the Ancient times, but they are still popular in these days. We will have competitors from neighboring ancient cities and regions. Searching for the Kairos In the night of Kairos, we will organize the prize game. Competitors will have an opportunity to discover the Trogir.

You can arrive in Trogir Croatia by road, air and sea.

The city is situated in vicinity of the Adriatic highway, that connects the South of Croatia with the rest of the Europe. If you drive from the North, the main road D1 that goes from Zagreb, via Karlovac, Gracac and Knin, will get you to the Trogir.

If you are coming from Italy, you should take the Adriatic highway via Rijeka, Senj, Zadar and Sibenik. The international airport “Split” is only 3 km away from the Trogir. A bigger transit centre, Split, is not far from Trogir (approximately 30 km).

Split is a town with great bus-connections with every country in the Europe, a railway station and a port with both merchant and passenger ships. If you come to Split by sea, you can do it by regular lines, along the Adriatic shore (Rijeka, Zadar and Dubrovnik) or by international lines (Ancona, Persara, Bari, Venice). In every 30 minutes, there is a regular bus line of the local bus company “Promet” from Split to Trogir (bus number 37).


Published by Tricia A. Mitchell

Tricia A. Mitchell is a freelance writer and photographer. Born in Europe but raised in the United States, she has lived in Valletta, Malta Heidelberg, Germany and Split, Croatia. An avid globetrotter who has visited more than 65 countries, she has a penchant for off-season travel. Tricia has learned that travel’s greatest gift is not sightseeing, rather it is the interactions with people. Some of her most memorable experiences have been sharing a bottle of champagne with distant French cousins in Lorraine, learning how to milk goats in a sleepy Bulgarian village, and ringing in the Vietnamese New Year with a Hanoi family. She welcomes any opportunity to practice French and German, and she loves delving into a place’s history and artisanal food scene. A former education administrator and training specialist, Tricia has a bachelor’s degree in elementary education and a master’s degree in international relations. She and her husband, Shawn, married in the ruins of a snowy German castle. They’ve been known to escape winter by basing themselves in coastal Croatia or Southeast Asia. Though they are currently nomadic, they look forward to establishing a European home someday. Her writing has appeared in Fodor’s Travel, Frommer’s, and International Living. View more posts


Trogir

Trogir is an island located in a sea tributary between the mainland and the island of Čiovo in the northwestern part of the Kaštela Bay. Trogir is the best preserved Romanesque-Gothic complex, not only on the Adriatic, but in the whole of Central Europe. The entire core of the old town is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List, as an example of a well-preserved Romanesque island town.

The Cathedral of St. St. Lawrence, which is one of the most famous monuments in Trogir and one of the most beautiful cathedrals in Croatia, is dominated In Trogir. Its construction took 300 years. Climb the bell tower of the Cathedral of St. Lovre and enjoy the unique panorama of Trogir and its surroundings. On the coast of the city is the Kamerlengo Fortress, which is a magnificent building from the 15th century, and not far from the Kamerlengo Fortress is the tower of St. Marco. From the sea side you can still enter the city of Trogir through the Southern City Gate built in the Renaissance style, while the northern city gate is decorated with Venetian lion and its stone bridge connected the city with the mainland. At the top of the door is a statue of St. John of Trogir, who is also the patron saint of the city of Trogir.

Some of the sights that Trogir abounds in and that you should definitely visit: On the main town square, opposite the cathedral stands the votive Church of St. Sebastian, which instead of a bell tower has an amazing City Clock Tower. City Lodge, Grand and Small Ćipiko Palace, Rector's Palace, Garagnin Palace - Fanfogna, which houses the city museum. What is certainly the most interesting from the history of Trogir is the fact that Trogir is the first city in Europe to have its own pharmacy, which was opened in 1271.

In addition to a trip into the past that you experience walking the streets, Trogir is a living Mediterranean town that offers countless opportunities for rest, relaxation, adventure and fun. Numerous beaches, cafes, fishing festivals and festivals, Dalmatian food and great atmosphere, each year attracts more and more visitors.


Trogir Town – History

The ancient town of Tragurion (“island of goats”) was founded as a trading settlement by Greek colonists from the island of Vis (Zssa) in the 3rd century BC on an islet at the western end of the bay of Manios, in a strait between the mainland and one of the Adriatic islands, where there was already a small settlement. The Hellenistic town was enclosed by megalithic walls and its streets were laid out on a “Hippodamian” grid plan: the line of the ancient cardo maximus is that of the modem main street. The town flourished in the Roman period as an oppidum civium romanum, linked with the neighbouring cities of Salona, capital of the Roman province of Dalmatia, and Siculi, a colony for Roman military veterans. During the Late Roman period it was extended and refortified. Extensive Roman cemeteries have been discovered, outside the town, as was customary, and a basilica was erected in one of these in Late Roman times. Although it was not made a bishopric in the early Christian period, Trogir was endowed with two large aisled basilicas, sited where the latter-day Cathedral and Benedictine Church of St John the Baptist now stand.

In the second half of the 9th century Trogir became part of the Byzantine theme of Dalmatia, with its capital Zadar, and it was occupied by Venice at the end of the 10th century. Early medieval Trogir expanded to the south and new fortifications were constructed. At the beginning of the 12th century Trogir accepted Hungarian rule when the theme of Dalmatia was overrun. There was a short period of Venetian rule in the early 14th century, but it was not until 1420 that the town became part of the Venetian empire. Between the 13th and 15th centuries many new building took place, this period seeing the construction of the Cathedral and the Camerlengo fortress, a radical remodelling of the main square, and two campaigns of reconstruction and strengthening of the fortifications. The Treaty of Campoformio handed Trogir over to the Austro-Hungarian Empire, to which it belonged, apart from a short period under French rule (1806-lo), as part of the Illyrian Provinces until 1918.

Prehistory

As early as the prehistoric time a central settlement stood on the rounded piece of land between the continent and the island of Ciovo. But apart from this settled lowland area, surrounded by marshy shallows and known as the historical nucleus, summits of a dozen surrounding hills were also inhabited in the second and first millenniums B.C. These settlements and fortified positions — citadels were built on riser which providied good view of the lowland around Trogir as well as of the sea straits. Among the impressive tombal mounds which still may be seen in the area the most outstanding is the one located at the summit of Plosnjak, the hill which dominates the scenery and encloses the field on the north side. Jutting into the sky at the western border of the Great Field (the field of Kastela) as a natural landmark is the mound called Knezeva gomila. According to Greek hypothesis Tragurion would mean „a hill with goats“, which would be the Greek translation of an older Illyrian denomination whose meaning is kin to that of the name of the mountain Kozjak.

Classical Era

The first information about the Greek settlement of Tragurion goes back to the 2nd century when the historian Polybius mentioned it in the connection with the attacks of the belicious Illyrian tribe of Dalmati who lived in the hinterland. But it was probably even earlier, at the close of the 3rd or at the beginning of the 2nd centuries that Greek colonization had begun within the already existing settlement. We do not know how exactly it started, whether it was based on an agreement with the aborigins or was a process of gradual infiltration or the settlement was a war gain. Tragurion was a dependency of Issa, another Doric settlement in the island of the same name (Vis). It seems that it mantained close connections with its mother settlement for quite a long time. From this period to our days urban life has continued uninterreupted in Trogir. In the course of the 1st century B.C. this Greek — Illyrian settlement became Roman municipium of Tragurium. The subsequent development of the nearby Salona, which was a true metropolis and leading town of all Dalmatia (Illyricum), was probably the main cause of the narrowing of municipal autonomy of Tragurium which became its satellite settlement.

Late Classical Era

The crisis of the Late Classical period was particularly acute in the 5th century. The tragic feeling of life which was felt throughout the empire thrown into chaos by the great Indo-European migration of the peoples, especially that of the Ostrogoths, was probably reflected in Tragurium, as well. There is some evidence that the town saw a period of new prosperity in the 6th century, when the Byzantine Emperor Justinian drove the Ostrogoths out of Dalmatia. It was in the Late Classical era that Christianity reached the walls of Tragurium. The new religion had already taken root in the nearby Salona, metropolis of the province. Vague ancient legends and stories relate the foundation of the Cathedral of Trogir to the noblemen of Salona. At the same period the cult of the Salonitan bishop and martyr St. Domnius spread from its place of origin to the neighboring Tragurium. Judging from dedicatory inscriptions a whole sequence of churches were erected in the city and in its surroundings during the Late Classical and Proto-Byzantine periods. These chruches were dedicated to different martyrs and apostles like St. Cyprianus, St. Andrew, St. Theodore (the patron saint of the Byzantine army), St. Martin, St. Euphemia.

Early Middle Ages

With the Avaro-Slavic invasion and the fall of Salona at the start of the 7th century the first Slavic settlers were recorded in the surroundings of Tragurium which, along with the few surviving settlements, made part of the Byzantine Dalmatia. In the 9th century the Croats built the first centres of their new state just here, close beside the ruins of Sicula and a short distance to the east, near the ruins of Salona. In the vicinity of the church of st. Martha at Bijaci in the Great Field (originally a Late Classical basilica), which stood within the borders of the Croatian State, were the estates of Croatian rulers. It was in front of this church that the Prince Trpimir issued the earliest known Croatian charter in 1852. Soon the new ethnic element infiltrated into the town itself as early as the 11th century among the noblemen, builders of churches and founders of monasteries, persons bearing Croatian names could be found side by side with the old Romanized population. The legend about St. John of Trogir mentions a royal donations with which the Croatian rulers allegedly helped the building of the Cathedral. Apart from the Croatian rulers, the Republic of Venice showed great interest in the Byzantine Dalmatia.

Late Middle Ages

We may say that from the start of the 12th to the beginning of the 15th centuries, expect for few brief periods, the Trogirians recognized the sovereignty of the Hungaro-Croatian kings as their natural rulers. In 1105, the King Colomanus, after he had conquered Dalmatia and had been crowned with the Dalmato-Croatian crown, issued a charter in which he guaranteed the town its liberties. One of the most important events in the history of Trogir was, doubtless, the stay of the King Bela IV and his retinue in Trogir during the Tatar invasion in March 1242. Like other Dalmatian cities, Trogir was subjected to constant Venetian pressure from the sea, which culminated in the 12th century. Before falling at last into Venetian hands, for the longest period Trogir recognized the Hungarian sovereigns, since these distant rulers from the North treated the town extreemly leniently. The fighting against Split in the period 1242-1244 was, doubtless, a historical landmark for Trogir. The hostilities started as a dispute between the neighbors concerning borders and property of single estates which the Hungarian sovereigns granted now to one and then to the other side. In 1378, during the warfare between Venice on one and Genoa and Hungary on the other with side (1376-1381), Trogir found itself at the very centre of fighting. Namely, with the Hungarian support, the Genovese fleet anchored in the harbour of Trogir and put up a stiff resistence to the fire from Venetian ships.
The relations with the feudal lords from the hinterland were always important for Trogir. At the start of the 12th century the citizens of Trogir and Split fought against the most powerful feudal lord of the time, Domaldo. Although the Commune always strived to represent the interests of the town as a whole, it often happened that the interests of its classes were sharply contrasted. The nobility was generaly loyal to the Hungarian Crown from which they received whole villages in the hinterland. In the riots which broke up in Decembre 1357 a popular rebellion blended with paying off of old scores among the noble families, in which the Cega family suffered complete defeat. Frequent were also the disputes between the Commune and the Church, as well as conflicts inside the Church, between the bishop and the clergy. Important source for the study of the history of Trogir from the second half of the 13th to the first decades of the 14th centuries are hundreds of legal documents written by Trogirian scriveners and compiled by the historian Miho Barada. In time the Trogirians received their education in different foreign countries. Augustin Kazotic, a man of exemplary life, venerated by the Trogirians as saint, studied in Paris. Still remembering the epidemic plague which raged around 1348 are the ruins of the chapel of Saint Eustachius erected at the summit of the hill of Krban as a pledge for the salvation from the Black Death.

New Era

Waiting in vain for the King’s help, thrown in knees by the ceaseless fire from Venetian galleys, Trogir fell into the hands of the Republic on 20 June 1240. In the latter half of the 15th century, as a result of the Turkish invasion, the large Commune was reduced to just a narrow coastal belt. Warfare and fear were day-to-day reality of this section of the Turkish-Venetian border. It was only at the close of the 17th century that the Turks were pushed far inland. In the 15th century Koriolan Cipico writes works in Latin. In his war memories titled Petri Mocenici imperatoris gesta or De bello asiatico he describes the Turkish-Venetian warfarew, permeating his account with countless reminiscences from Classical Antiquity. During the uprisal of the commoners of Hvar Hanibal Lucié refuges in Trogir and dedicates his Croatian verse to Koriolan’s grand-daughter Milica, a self-confident Renaissance woman who weaves tapestries. Petar Lucius — Luëié, father of the historian Ivan, compiles one of the earliest Croatian books of poetry, the Vrtal (at the start of the 15th century his father Petar collected Roman inscriptions, transcribed Classics and ornated the books of his rich library with his own hand). Many Trogirians knew well Latin and were acquainted with Greek, as well.
The transitory French rule during Napoleon’s early 19th century conquests (1806-1814) shook Trogir, as well as whole Dalmatia, out of its medieval leathargy. Roads and schools were built, while monasteries were closed down school children were taught in their mother tonuge public health was improved and town walls pulled down. .. At the start of the 19th century the Trogirians became the first official conservators of Dalmatian monuments appointed by the central administration in Vienna. Ivan Luka Garagnin organized the first archeological excavations at Salona, while Vicko Andrié, who had studied at the Roman Academy of St. Luke, explored and restored the Diocletian’s palace. The period between the two World Wars of the so called Old Yugoslavia was marked by revolutionary brewing of the politicized popular classes which demanded radical agricultural reform. As early as 1919 the first unit of the Socialist Party was organized. After the collapse of Italy, Trogir was ruled by the partisans fromn 12 Settembre to 7 November 1943. on the night between 27 and 28 November the People’s Liberation Army entered Trogir. The destroyed town met it with a decimated population, but free at last.


Watch the video: CHORWACJA - malowniczy TROGIR - sezon NA SZLAKU. GoPro 8 Black


Comments:

  1. Arthw

    What words ... super, great phrase

  2. Rafik

    I absolutely agree with you. The idea is good, I agree with you.

  3. Voistitoevitz

    It went to look ...



Write a message