Lady of the Lake
(Sch.: t. 89; cpl. 40; a. 1 9-pdr.)
Lady of the Lake, a small schooner, was built for the Navy by Henry Eckford of Sacketts Harbor, N.Y., during the summer and winter of 1812-13, Iaunched 6 April 1813 and entered service 13 days later, Sailing Master Flinn in command.
Built under the personal supervision ot Commodore Isaac Chauncey tor duty as a dispatch boat on Lake Ontario carrying messages to Niagara, the schooner was seldom used as she was designed. Instead she saw considerable action on the Great Lakes throughout the War of 1812. Actively employed in Chauncey's squadron, she assisted in the assault on York, Canada, carrying some ot General Dearboru's troops and sailing close inshore to cover the troops with precision flre. A month later, atter bringing supplies to trcops at York, she joined in the attack on Fort George 27 May, once again carrying troops and using her gun to advantage. She wreaked havoc among the Euglish troops and forced them to withdraw, blowing up the fort behind them.
Continuing operations on Lake Ontario, Lady of the Lake captured English schooner Ladv Murrav with a cargo of ammunition off Presque Isle, now Erie, Pa., 16 June and then operated as a dispatch and supply boat through" out the summer. On 11 September, the schooner was part ot the American squadron that engaged the British under Capt. Sir John Yeo in an inconclusive, 3-hour long range battle in Lake Ontario. She fought again with the squadron 17 days later ott York in a short but fierce engagement that forced the British to retreat into Burlington Bay.
In her last combat 5 October 1813, she assisted three other American ships in attacking and capturing British schooners Confiance, Hamilton, Mary, and cutter Drummond off False Ducks' Lake Ontario, and then for the remainder of the war carried dispatche.s between Sackett Harbor and Ft Niagara.
Following the end of the War of 1812, the little schooner was placed in ordinary at Sacketts Harbor and remained there until sold at public auction 2 February 1826.
Lady of the Lake
The Lady of the Lake (French: Dame du Lac, Demoiselle du Lac, Welsh: Arglwyddes y Llyn, Cornish: Arloedhes an Lynn, Breton: Itron an Lenn, Italian: Dama del Lago) is a name or a title used by several fairy-like enchantresses in the Matter of Britain, the body of medieval literature and mythology associated with the legend of King Arthur. They play pivotal roles in many stories, including providing Arthur with the sword Excalibur, eliminating Merlin, raising Lancelot after the death of his father, and helping to take the dying Arthur to Avalon. Different sorceresses known as the Lady of the Lake appear concurrently as separate characters in some versions of the legend since at least the Post-Vulgate Cycle and consequently the seminal Le Morte d'Arthur, with the latter describing them as a hierarchical group, while some texts also give this title to either Morgan or her sister.
The Lady of the Lake is a true story of the disappearance of Hallie Latham Illingworth. A tale of murder, a body that turned to "soap," and the hunt for a killer has absorbed readers and storytellers for generations, and is one of the most enduring legends on the Olympic Peninsula.
The story began in the summer of 1940 when a woman's body floated to the surface of Lake Crescent in Olympic National Park. The woman was wrapped in blankets and hog tied with heavy rope. She had been strangled. The case was especially macabre because of the condition of the body. The woman's face was unrecognizable, but her body had not decomposed. In a bizarre chemical transformation, the flesh had turned into a soap-like substance that could be scooped away like putty.
The public's imagination was caught by the grisly discovery, and the murdered woman became known as the "Lady of the Lake." It was a fitting appellation for a mystery woman who had emerged from Lake Crescent, a cold, deep lake that had a reputation for never giving up its dead.
The Lady of the Lake was Hallie Latham Illingworth, a Port Angeles waitress who was married to Montgomery "Monty" J. Illingworth, a beer-truck driver and a known ladies' man. Hallie had been missing since shortly before Christmas 1937. She had arrived on the Olympic Peninsula about three years earlier after two failed marriages. She was born on January 8, 1901, to a hardworking farm couple in Greenville, Kentucky. As a young adult, Hallie repeatedly moved west searching for a better life. She wound up working at the Lake Crescent Tavern (now Lake Crescent Lodge) where she met Monty Illingworth, who became her third husband on June 16, 1936.
The two had a volatile marriage. Five months into it, the couple got into a pre-dawn fight that was so fierce the police were called to break it up. Hallie showed up for work at a Port Angeles restaurant with bruises on her face and arms. Sometimes she had black eyes. Then as the holidays approached in 1937, she disappeared.
A Three-Year Mystery
After the night and morning of December 21-22, no one saw Hallie Illingworth again. Monty told friends that his wife had run off with another man. But as months went by, Hallie's close-knit family had no word from her. Monty moved to California with a woman he had met in Port Angeles -- a woman whom, reportedly, he was seeing romantically before Hallie's disappearance. And then on July 6, 1940, almost three years after Hallie disappeared, two fishermen spotted the body of the woman -- The Lady of the Lake -- floating on the surface of Lake Crescent.
The body was taken into Port Angeles, where a young medical student, Harlan McNutt, examined it. He noted that the upper part of her face, her upper lip, and her nose were gone. Because her hands had been exposed, the tips of the fingers were gone. There was no way to get fingerprints, and no way to tell what the woman looked like. And then there was the unusual state of the corpse. The dead woman's flesh had turned to something like Ivory Soap, McNutt said later, describing a condition known as "saponification." The soap-like condition resulted from minerals in the lake interacting with the fats in the woman's body. The lake's near-freezing temperatures had virtually refrigerated the corpse for years.
A visual inspection of the body and a subsequent autopsy showed that the woman met a violent death. Her neck was bruised and discolored, and her chest showed evidence of extensive hemorrhage. She had been beaten and strangled.
Though there was little with which to make an identification, the body had a distinctive, upper dental plate. It proved to be the clue that led to her killer. Authorities eventually identified the woman as Hallie Illingworth, thanks to an alert South Dakota dentist who identified the dental plate as one he had made for her years before.
Finding the Killer
Investigators closed in on Monty Illingworth, living in Long Beach, California. On October 26, 1941, he was arrested and taken into custody by Los Angeles sheriff's deputies. Not long after, he was charged with murder. He was brought back to Port Angeles and put on trial for Hallie's murder in Clallam County Superior Court. The trial began on February 24, 1942, and was so sensational that it competed with news from the fronts of World War II. Trial developments were splashed daily across the front pages of local newspapers. Spectators arrived early. Homemakers, teenagers and curiosity seekers converged on the courtroom for the nine-day trial.
Monty's defense was that the dead woman wasn't Hallie, and he swore she was still alive when he last saw her. But the dentist from South Dakota was a credible witness, and he insisted the dental plate found on the murdered woman belonged to Hallie. Moreover, Hallie's friends identified clothes worn by the dead woman as belonging to Hallie. The key evidence was the rope used to tie up Hallie before she was dropped into Lake Crescent. Monty had borrowed 50 feet of rope from a storekeeper at the lake, and the store still had remnants from the rope. The fibers matched.
It took the jurors four hours to reach a verdict. On March 5, 1942, the jury found Illingworth guilty of second-degree murder. He was sentenced to life imprisonment at the Washington State Penitentiary in Walla Walla. He served nine years in prison and was paroled in 1951. He died on November 5, 1974, in Los Alamitos, California.
A Terrible Fight
A contemporary of Hallie's later observed that her murder was most likely not premeditated, that Hallie and Monty probably had a fight in their apartment that December night in 1937. The fight took a violent turn and Monty brutally beat and strangled Hallie to death.
Hollis Fultz, a criminologist with the Washington State Attorney General's Office who helped investigate the murder, maintained that Monty tried to conceal the crime by placing his wife's lifeless body in the trunk of his car and driving to Lake Crescent. Monty then stopped in the vicinity of the present-day Log Cabin Resort, where he wrapped his wife’s body in blankets and tied the bundle with a rope.
Monty put Hallie's body in a rowboat, attached weights to the bundle, and rowed into deep water. He then dropped the bundle into the dark water. Rumors circulated during the murder investigation that Monty didn't act alone, but no one other than Monty was charged with the crime.
The State of Washington
Washington Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation
Hallie Latham Illingworth (1901-1937)
Courtesy Washington Rural Heritage (LKCRPORT013)
Monty Illingworth with mother (left), Flossie Illingworth, and current wife (right), Elinor Illingworth, 1941-1942
Detail, Courtesy Washington Rural Heritage (LKCRPORT014)
Lake Crescent Tavern (now Lake Crescent Lodge), Clallam County, 1918
Courtesy UW Special Collections (82.325.25)
Mavis Amundson, The Lady of the Lake, (Port Angeles: Western Gull Publishing, a division of the Peninsula Daily News, 2000) Paul J. Martin, Port Angeles, Washington: A History, Vol. 1, 1983 (Port Angeles: Peninsula Publishing, Inc., 1983) Hollis B. Fultz, “The Corpse That Came Back,” True Detective magazine, 1942, on file at the Port Angeles Branch, North Olympic Library System Port Angeles Evening News (now Peninsula Daily News), Seattle Post-Intelligencer, The Seattle Times, February 24, 1942-March 6, 1942 The State of Washington v. Monty J. Illingworth Case No. 1075 (Clallam County Superior Court, 1942) Interviews by Mavis Amundson with Dr. Harlan McNutt, Petrus "Pete" Pearson, and Norman Brooks, all from Clallam County, Washington Laura Burke Latham Dunbar, Daytona Beach, Florida and Gayle Carver, Greenville, Kentucky, 1995-1996.
Lady of the Lake Sch - History
Who was the mysterious woman who not only gave King Arthur his magical sword Excalibur, but kidnapped Sir Lancelot as a child only later to cure him of his madness? The Lady of the Lake may have been a Celtic goddess in origin, perhaps even related to the Gwagged Annwn, the lake ferries in modern Welsh folklore. According to Ulrich, a fairy raised Sir Lancelot from birth and was the mother of Mabuz, identical to the Celtic god Mabon. There are several “Ladies of the Lake” mentioned throughout Arthurian Legend, with even Morgan Le Fay being named as one of them, in particular as she is one of the maidens on the barg that takes King Arthur to the mystical Isle of Avalon.
Vivien may very well have been the true Lady of the Lake that is talked about in most Arthurian legends and stories. Vivien, sometimes called Nineve, Nimue, or Niniane is best known as the woman who sealed Merlin in a cave or a tree and put him under a spell. Richard Wilbur referred to Vivien as “a creature to bewitch a sorcerer”, and even though Merlin could foretell and foresee his captivity, he was unable to stop it or overcome his enchantment with Vivien. In Sir Thomas Mallory’s book Le Morte D’Arthur, Nyneve, another of the ladies of the lake, deprives King Arthur of Merlin’s services, but then rescues him twice later on. The first rescue is from Accolon, who has been given Excalibur Morgan Le Fay to use against the King. The second rescue is her coming to the aid of Merlin and preventing his wearing of the destructive cloak that Morgan Le Fay sent to him to wear.
Who was the mysterious woman who not only gave King Arthur his magical sword Excalibur, but kidnapped Lancelot as a child only later to cure him of his madness?
The Lady of the Lake’s character is super ambiguous, even in her most early appearances in the legends and stories. In the French Vulgate Estoire de Merlin, she loves the enchanter and seals him in a beautiful tower, magically constructed, so that she can keep him always for herself. She would visit him regularly and ended up giving her love to him. In the continuation to the Vulgate Merlin, known as the Suite du Merlin, the relationship is very different. When Merlin shows her a tomb of two lovers, magically sealed, she enchants him and has him cast into the tomb on top of the two lovers, whereupon she reseals the tomb and Merlin dies a slow death.
Alfred Lord Tennyson turns Vivien into the personification of evil. Edwin Arlington Robinson, in the poem, Merlin, makes Merlin’s “captivity” voluntary, and his Vivian is less of an enchantress than an interesting woman whom Merlin truly loves. So, who is the Lady of the Lake or Vivien? Was she good, evil or a bit of both? Perhaps she was a combination of many imaginative tales, and came to be popularized as one of the primary characters of the Arthurian legends.
History of Our Lady of the Lake
Our Lady of the Lake is one of 83 parishes and missions in the Catholic Diocese of Dallas. Our Lady of the Lake was established in 1974 through the efforts of the Catholics in the Rockwall area, with the assistance of Monsignor Thomas W. Weinzapfel, then-pastor of St. Pius X Catholic Church in Dallas. Our Lady of the Lake was founded on December 1974 as a mission of St. Pius X Catholic Church. During its mission years, the parish was ministered to by Fathers J. Dominic Tamburello (1974), Richard Weaver (1975) and Richard Sokolski.
The first Mass was celebrated on December 8, 1974 in the old Rockwall High School Cafeteria with 120 people in attendance. Mass was celebrated in the cafeteria until the purchase of a Baptist church with its adjoining lot at 306 Rusk Street for $52,000.00. The purchase of the facility was made possible by the generosity of Monsignor Weinzapfel and St. Pius X Catholic Church with a contribution of $40,000.00.
The first Mass celebrated at the Rusk Street facility was on February 22, 1976 after completion of the renovation. On December 3, 1978, the mission was elevated to a parish by the Most Reverend Thomas Tschoepe, Bishop of Dallas.
The Rusk Street facility, under the leadership of founding pastor Reverend Albert Cuschieri (1974-1985) served the parish well until it became clear that membership growth would require a new, larger facility. In May 1983, the seven acres where the parish is presently located was purchased.
Under the pastoral leadership of Reverend William J. Doran (1985-1992), work began to raise funds for a new church building. On Sunday, January 6, 1991 ground was broken for a partially constructed new facility. In September 1992 under the leadership of Pastoral Administrator, Reverend Richard W. Filice, the move was made to our current facilities which consisted of lower level offices, classrooms and a temporary Sanctuary.
Mass was celebrated in the Parish Hall, now the Holy Family Center, while fundraising efforts continue under the leadership of then-pastor Father Richard T. Brown (1992-1993). Finally in the fall of 1998, under the leadership of Father William A. Richard (1993-2005) the finish-out of the upper level began: the main sanctuary, chapel, upper classrooms, and offices were designed by Jane and Dwayne Landry, prominent Dallas architects. The first Mass in the new completed sanctuary was celebrated on Holy Thursday, April 1, 1999. The sanctuary was formally dedicated on May 9, 1999 by Bishop Charles V. Grahmann, D.D., then-bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Dallas.
Reverend Monsignor Robert M. Coerver served as pastor from 2005 until 2010. After leaving Our Lady of the Lake and serving elsewhere in the Catholic Diocese of Dallas, he was named the third Bishop of Lubbock, Texas in September, 2016. On July 23, 2010, Father George P. Monaghan was assigned as pastor. After nearly ten years of faithful service as pastor of Our Lady of the Lake, he died suddenly on May 19, 2020.
Father Seán Charles Martin, S.T.D. became pastor on July 1, 2020. A biblical scholar by training, he has held academic appointments in Rome, in Houston, in Irving, and most recently, in Saint Louis, Missouri, where he served at Aquinas Institute of Theology, first as professor of Biblical Studies, and then as the Institute's president from 2014-2019. Our Lady of the Lake is his first pastorate.
The parish continues to minister to every age and group, from the smallest infants to our most venerable senior citizens, both English speakers and Spanish speakers. Our mission is summarized by our parish motto: "LOVE ONE ANOTHER" (John 13:34).
Monday-Friday 7:30 AM – 5 PM
Saturday 8:30 AM – 4 PM
“…I didn’t realize that making quilts would mean so much to so many, but after receiving thousands of personal letters and meeting such kind people wherever I go, I see that it gives people hope. It changes lives and it touches hearts. People are happier when they create and I’m grateful that I get to help them do that every single day.” – Jenny Doan
Getting to Know Walter Scott’s ‘Lady of the Lake’ in the Scottish Highlands
Walter Scott, the Scottish poet and author, came to the shores of the enchanting Loch Katrine in 1809 where he started crafting a new poem that was received with sensation, smashing all previous records of poetry sales with an immediate 25,000 copies sold.
The poem was The Lady Of The Lake, published in 1810 and putting Scotland on the tourism map not just in the UK but across the world.
I’ve driven up from London with my boyfriend and puppy, for the Highlands experience. To be and breathe in an area of spectacular grace and scenery. A place of fresh air, friendly faces and no litter, unlike my local park.
Yesterday Schiehallion, today the Loch Katrine and the enchantment of Sir Walter Scott.
The loch introduces itself as soon as you leave the car park. A cycle hire shop to the left restaurant overlooking the loch to the right and in the middle a big, bold steamship. The Sir Walter Scott takes tourists on a 45-minute tour of Loch Katrine and is also a testament to the legacy of naval engineering associated with the nearby city, Glasgow.
The Lady Of The Lake introduction gives a reverential account of Scott’s life and character.
“Walter Scott was born in Edinburgh, August 15, 1771, of an ancient Scotch clan numbering in its time many a hard rider and good fighter, and more than one of these petty chieftains, half-shepherd and half-robber, ”
Born within a few years of notable contemporaries such as Coleridge and Wordsworth, Scott’s verse, especially the Lady Of The Lake focused not only on the beauty of nature, like his fellows but it drove further purpose and depth of storytelling through it.
In a letter from the holiday in 1809 he expressed his desire to push his writing beyond local landscape and spectacular beauty and gain a more profound psychological depth with his main characters.
In the poem, Scott creates a form of historical fiction using the characters King James V of Scotland, the family Douglas and the brutal Highland tribe leader Roderick Dhu. Amongst these figures, he weaves his tale of the exiled Ellen and the three suitors competing for her love.
Scott was highly inspired by Goethe, who died the same year as him as well as other significant figures of the European Enlightenment. From a young age, he dedicated himself to studying the craft of romance and epic ballads. Edinburgh, being a centre for the Scottish Enlightenment was a fertile ground for his imagination even if his early career as a man of the law wasn’t.
The poem starts with a Highland stag hunt. The young hero, a fictionalised representation of King James V of Scotland loses his hunting party as he flies ahead in pursuit of a deer.
As his hounds’ yap at his heels, he is on the verge of overcoming the stag when it disappears, and he tumbles, his horse dying of fatigue.
Alone and stranded in the highlands he spots Ellen, the Lady of the Lake pulling into the shore below him on a skiff.
Alarmed to see the huntsman at first she is eventually convinced to allow him on her boat and take him to a woody island where he takes refuge.
Our hero introduces himself as a knight, not disclosing his true King of Scotland identity and promptly falls for fair Ellen, making him the third admirer and candidate for her love.
The story was inspired by the real-life of the infant King James V, father of only one surviving legitimate child, Mary Queen of Scots.
He was declared a king at the age of 14 and kidnapped by his mother’s husband, Archibald Douglas, who kept him prisoner for three years and ruled on his behalf.
After escaping in his teens, King James V outlawed the Douglas family, driving them into exile and seizing their land.
Ellen is the daughter of an outlawed Douglas who has been given refuge on the island by Sir Roderick Dhu, a bloodthirsty Highland chieftain. Though he was a real character, the act of giving him a voice was inspired one of Goethe’s characters in Götz von Berlichingen.
Using the historical framework of King James V the remainder of the poem is a fictionalised account and takes on the facets of a romantic adventure, giving Scott a reputation for being Scotland’s Homer.
One burnished sheet of living gold,
Loch Katrine lay beneath him rolled,
In all her length far winding lay,
With promontory, creek, and bay,
The introduction to Lady of the Lake by William Vaugh Moody paints a reverential picture of the writer whose character was full of curiosity and a dedication to learning ancient ballads and European romantic forms and languages.
Scott lived in a small village south of Edinburgh in the time that he wrote Lady of the Lake and another of his great masterpieces Marmion. Moody describes this as one of the happiest times of his life between 1804–1812.
His mornings he spent at his desk, always with a faithful hound at his feet watching the tireless hand as it threw off sheet after sheet of the manuscript to make up the day’s stint. By one o’clock he was, as he said, “his own man,” free to spend the remaining hours of light with his children, his horses, and his dogs, or to indulge himself in his life-long passion for tree-planting.
Unfortunately, by now, he had already started sowing seeds of another kind when he entered into the publishing business with a friend who’s capacity and head for business decision making could only possibly come undone, and they did.
It might have been manageable if Scott hadn’t decided to take on the major publisher and bookseller Constable after being offended by a scathing review of his earlier work by the editor of The Edinburgh Review.
His greatest failing, if failing it can be called, was pride. He could not endure even the mild dictations of a competent publisher, as is shown by his answer to a letter written by one of them proposing some salaried work he replied curtly that he was a “black Hussar” of literature, and not to be put to such tame service.
Pride! It gets us all at some stage during our lives, writers especially.
If so, he paid for the fault so dearly that it is hard for a biographer to press the issue against him.
In 1825 years of financial mismanagement, such as Scott raising large sums of money for his beloved estate, Abbotsford, and accepting cash advances for work came undone as the city of London experienced a crash.
Scott’s spiralling debt and the crash resulted in a period of hardship that led to his wife’s death and the takeover of Abbotsford by creditors.
The years intervening between this calamity and Scott’s death form one of the saddest and at the same time, most heroic chapters in the history of literature.
After the death of Lady Scott, he embarked on a determined and frantic writing effort to pay back his debtors on Abbotsford.
Through a short period of exceptional grafting he managed to write enough books to pay back over £40,000 in debt. The creditors of the estate, touched at his effort agree to allow him to take ownership once again.
In 1830 he suffered his first stroke and two years later in 1832 he passed away by which time over £53,000 in debt had been repaid.
Today visitors can visit his old home of Abbotsford. It’s on my list following an epic writing splurge, inspired by Scott’s own.
Much like his Lady of the Lake character, King James, Scott casts aside pride, ego and his desires to focus on doing the right thing and restoring his reputation as a hero.
The final chapter in Lady of the Lake sees King James V pardon the family Douglas of his beloved fair Ellen and releases her true love Malcolm permitting the two to marry. The true hero of the romantic piece. He allows what he is unable to take for himself.
We’ve passed the Ellen island in Loch Katrine and are making our way back. Things feel different on the way back. We walk by families from all over the world: different colours, languages but the same smile.
Maybe they’ve also been touched by the Lady of the Lake.
And now the mountain breezes scarcely bring
A wandering witch-note of the distant spell
And now, ’tis silent all!
Enchantress, fare thee well!
The Later Years
In 1988, Our Lady of the Lake School offered a before and after school child care program called "Kidconnection" to meet the needs of working parents.
In 1989, Bright Beginnings Preschool was added.
In 2000, thirty years after it was dropped, an eighth grade was added back to Our Lady of the Lake School to allow for a smoother transition to Holy Family Catholic High School in Victoria for students who planned to go there.
In 2001, Our Lady of the Lake hosted an all-school 50 year reunion attended by former teachers and students. In the process an alumni directory with the names of 966 former students was printed.
WANT TO FIND AMAZING TRAILS AND VIEWS IN OLYMPIC?
Discover a Hike a Week through our Olympic National Park Area Guidebook
Finally filling the void of stunningly beautiful and informational guidebooks, 52 Olympic Peninsula Hikes is the inspirational, locally written guide for which you have been searching. Click here for more information
Lady of the Lake Sch - History
A childhood photo, date unknown, of Echo Park resident Shirley Sousa posing before the Lady of Lake
One of Echo Park’s most beloved icons is the statue of a female figure standing near the eastern edge of Echo Park Lake.
Sculpted in the Art Deco style by artist Ada Mae Sharpless, the statue’s official name is “Nuestra Reina de Los Angeles” (Queen of the Angels). But most people refer to the statue as the “Lady of the Lake.”
Sharpless was awarded this art commission by the federal Works Progress Administration in 1934, a Depression-era program that commissioned works of public art. Originally intended to be cast in bronze, the 14-foot-high cast stone statue was given as a gift to the city of Los Angeles in 1935. Sharpless’ work can also be found at General Hospital (L.A. County-USC Medical Center) and at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana.
Los Angeles Times art critic Arthur Millier reviewed the Lady of the Lake when the statue [most likely a small replica] was the centerpiece of a small exhibit at the Art Salon at the Ebell Club in 1935. Millier wrote, “It is not her happiest work. Simplicity on such a scale demands a compensating subtlety which is absent.”
In response, the Los Angeles Times quoted Sharpless in a letter stating that the Lady of the Lake was “one of the best pieces of work I have done so far…and several people of the most sophisticated artistic taste in the city [agree]. Forget what is being represented—this has nothing to do with whether the sculpture is good or not.”
Ada May Sharpless was born to Mr. & Mrs. B.H. Sharpless on August 16, 1904 in Hilo, Hawaii. She grew up in Santa Ana, California. Sharpless graduated from the University of Southern California in 1922. She attended Otis Art Institute (dates unknown) and possibly the Chouinard Institute in Los Angeles. In 1925, she moved to Paris to study with Emile Antoine Bourdelle. While in Paris, Sharpless maintained a studio on Rue Boissonnade and exhibited at the Tuilleries and the Salon des Independents, where she was a member. She returned to Los Angeles in 1929, the same year as Bourdelle’s death.
Upon her return to California, she became a member of the California Art Club and the Los Angeles Art Association. According to California Art Club Bulletins, she had been a member before moving to Paris. Sharpless lived at 1142 ½ Seward Street, and exhibited at many local museums and galleries.
One of the four relief images at the statue’s base.
Although unconfirmed, it has been stated that she married Norman Cornish and returned to Hawaii.
About 50 years Sharpless’ Lady of the Lake was dedicated, the statue, damaged and suffering from neglect was removed from public display in 1986 and put in storage, where it languished until it was restored and returned to public view in May 1999. It was rededicated on Oct. 10, 1999.
The statue was originally located at the tip of the peninsula that juts into the north end of the lake (now the site of pumping station). The Lady of the Lake now stands on the eastside of the lake near the Boathouse.
The pedestal of the Lady of the Lake features four reliefs with images of City Hall and other area features.
*Some of the information in this article is based on research commissioned by the City of Los Angeles’ Cultural Affairs Department.
You can help us promote and preserve our neighborhood's cultural and architectural heritage by joining or renewing your membership.