We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
(DE-247: dp. 1,200; 1. 306'; b. 36'7"; dr. 8'7, s. 21.2
k.; cpl. 216; a. 3 3", 2 40mm., 10 20mm., 2 act., 8
dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.), 3 21' tt.; cl. Edsall)
Stanton (DE-247) was laid down on 7 December 1942 by Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Tex.; launched on 21 February 1943, sponsored by Mrs. William S. Burrell, and commissioned on 7 August 1943 Lt. Comdr. C. S. Barker in command.
Stanton got underway on 29 August for San Juan, Puerto Rico, to join the destroyer escort shakedown group and, a month later, arrived at the Charleston Navy Yard. She then moved up the coast to New York and departed there on 18 October for Trinidad and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The escort returned to Norfolk, Va., and was attached to Escort Division (CortDiv) 3. Stanton sailed on 25 November with Task Force (TF) 64 as an escort for convoy UGS-25 bound for the Mediterranean. The convoy arrived at Casablanca on 13 December. The escorts picked up convoy GUS-24 there and headed for the United States on 15 December 1943 and arrived safely at New York on 3 January 1944.
Stanton escorted other convoys to North Africa and back, as a unit in TF 64 or TF 65. These included UGS-31, GUS-30, and UGS-37. She was the flagship of TF 65, escort for UGS-37 which consisted of over 60 ships, steaming from Norfolk to Bizerte, when it was attacked by the Lultwaffe. The convoy was off Algeria on the evening of 11 April when an enemy aircraft was reported in the area. Just before midnight, approximately two dozen Dornier 217's and Ju. 88's attacked. Stanton opened fire on a plane which crossed her bow and later had a stick of bombs fall close aboard. Holder (DE-401) was torpedoed in the port side by one of the low flying planes, but no merchant ships or LST's were hit. The convoy reached Bizerte the next day, and Stanton returned to New York with convoy GUS-37.
She was in drydock until early May, and then participated in maneuvers off Cape May before sailing to Hampton Roads, Va. She arrived on 30 May and was attached to CortDiv 13, Atlantic Fleet. Stanton joined convoy UGS-44, escorted it to Bizerte, and remained there from 22 to 30 June when she began the return voyage with convoy GUS 44 bound for New York.
Stanton was attached to the 6th Atlantic Fleet and held training exercises in Casco Bay from 30 July until she returned to New York to escort a section of convoy UGS-51 to Norfolk. The convoy sortied from there but, on the 19th, Stanton was ordered to proceed to the Boston Navy Yard for alterations and improvements. These lasted until mid-October after which she held sea trials and tested her new equipment and proceeded to Bermuda.
Stanton arrived at Port Royal Bay on 5 November, joined the screen of Croatan (CVE-25) and returned to New York on 13 November 1944. The task group then proceeded to Guantanamo Bay, via Norfolk to hold joint exercises, and returned to Norfolk in late December. On 10 January 1945, Stanton and CortDiv 13, with Croatan, steamed to Bermuda to continue antisubmarine warfare exercises in conjunction with flight operations. Upon completion of the training period, the task group called at New York on 4 February; shifted to the Naval Ammunition Depot, Earle, N.J., to load ammunition, and then sailed to Casco Bay for carrier qualification exercises. During the last
week in March, the submarine hunter-killer group took its assigned position in the north central Atlantic, midway between Newfoundland and England.
On 15 April, Stanton made surface radar contact range 3,500 yards, and headed for the target. The U-boat disappeared from the radar screen, but sonar contact was made. Stanton fired a pattern of hedgehogs and a deep rumble followed their explosions. Contact was regained, and another pattern was fired. This was followed by a heavy underwater explosion. Sonar contact was made again, and Stanton attacked. After this there was a tremendous explosion that shook the task group. Frost (DE-144) joined in the attack with her hedgehogs shortly after midnight. The two DE's kept pounding the contact until there was an explosion of such magnitude that it shook some of the group 10 miles away. Then, contact was lost, and so was U-1285. Just before 0200 on the 16th, Frost made a surface contact at 500 yards, fired starshells to no avail, and finally illuminated a U-boat with her searchlight. Frost opened fire with her deck guns as the submarine submerged and made several hits on the conning tower. Contact was lost so Stanton and Huse (DE-145) joined the search. At 0406, Stanton fired a hedgehog pattern over a contact that produced an explosion so violent that she thought she had been torpedoed and rocked Croatan 15 miles away. Frost fired one more pattern which produced three deep explosions. Diesel fuel already covered the surface of the sea, and sonar contact slowly faded. This was the end of U-880. The task group returned to Argentia, Newfoundland, from 22 to 28 April, to refuel and rearm before resuming antisubmarine patrols.
War with Germany ended in May, and Stanton put into New York for fuel. She then was routed to Charleston for yard availability. On 1 July, CortDiv 13 was assigned to the Pacific Fleet, and Stanton, with Swasey (DE-248) sailed for Hawaii, via Panama and San Diego. They arrived at Pearl Harbor on 9 August, a week before hostilities with Japan ended. Stanton participated in antisubmarine warfare practice until 22 August when she was detached from the Pacific Fleet and ordered to return to the Atlantic seaboard.
She arrived at Norfolk on 28 September and the following month was assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla. Stanton moved there, moored, and provided steam and electrical services to units of CortDiv 36 from 1 January 1946 to 2 June 1947. On the latter date Stanton was placed in reserve, out of commission, an] the skeleton crew of 64 was transferred. She was struck from the Navy list on 1 December 1970 and sunk as a target.
Stanton received three battle stars for World War II service.
Stanton History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The ancient history of the Stanton name begins with the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the family resided in the county of Nottinghamshire in an area that was referred to as stanton, which means stony ground. 
Stanton is a topographic surname, which was given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree. During the Middle Ages, as society became more complex, individuals needed a way to be distinguishable from others. Toponymic surnames were developed as a result of this need. Various features in the landscape or area were used to distinguish people from one another. In this case the original bearers of the surname Stanton were named due to their close proximity to the stanton.
Set of 4 Coffee Mugs and Keychains
Early Origins of the Stanton family
The surname Stanton was first found in Nottinghamshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Staunton. The first Lord was Sir Brian Staunton who was Lord of Staunton during the time of Edward the Confessor in 1047.  The family of Staunton of Staunton, in the first-named shire, "can be regularly traced from the time of the Conqueror, and there is no doubt of their having been settled in Nottinghamshire. in the time of Edward the Confessor."  "An ancient house, traced to the Conquest" 
Great East Standen Manor is a manor house on the Isle of Wight that dates to the Norman Conquest and was once the residence of Princess Cicely (1469-1507). Nearby is Standen House, an English country house but this edifice is more recent and dates back to the 18th century.
Gloucestershire is home to another village named Staunton and this village is almost as old as the former with the first listing found in 972 as Stanton  and then later the Domesday Book,  mentions a castle there belonging to Roger de Stanton, the foundations of which were cleared away a few years before. 
Stanton in Northumberland was home to another branch of the family which has fallen. "The ancient manor-house, the seat of the last-named family, has been converted into a house for the reception of the poor and a chapel which stood a little to the north of it, has altogether disappeared." 
Hervey de Staunton (died 1327), was an English judge, son of Sir William de Staunton of Staunton, Nottinghamshire. "He seems to have held the living of Soham, Norfolk, as early as 1289: afterwards he held the livings of Thurston and Werbeton, and about 1306, on being ordained priest, received the living of East Derham. In November 1300 there is mention of him as going to the court of Rome. He was a justice itinerant in Cornwall in 1302 and in Durham in 1303." 
The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 list Alice de Staunton, Lincolnshire Nicholas de Staunton, Essex and William de Staunton, Oxfordshire. 
Robert G. Stanton (1940- )
Robert George ‘Bob’ Stanton is a retired career civil-service employee of the National Park Service. On August 4, 1997, he was sworn in as the agency’s 15th director. He made history as the first African American director and the first director to go through the Senate confirmation process. Over the course of his nearly 40-year career, Stanton worked to improve the agency’s public programs to better serve minority communities, supported increasing workforce diversity, and programs to ensure recognition of cultural and historic sites related to minority contributions in the U.S.
Robert Stanton was born on September 22, 1940 in Fort Worth, Texas, and was the youngest of four children. He grew up in Mosier Valley, one of the oldest African American communities in Fort Worth. Parents of students attending the segregated Mosier Valley elementary school filed a federal lawsuit in 1949 to gain equal access to schools for their children in the Euless Independent School District. The successful lawsuit did not desegregate the district but it did result in a new brick building in 1953 to replace the dilapidated wooden building that had served as the local school. Stanton graduated from the segregated I.M. Terrell High School in Fort Worth in 1959 and earned a Bachelor of Science degree from Huston-Tillotson University in Austin, Texas, in 1963, becoming the first in his immediate family to graduate from college.
Stanton began his career with the National Park Service as a Seasonal Park Ranger at Grand Teton National Park in 1962. This trip to Wyoming was his first visit to a national park and the first time he left the state of Texas. In 1966, he accepted a full-time position in Washington, D.C. as a Personnel Management and Public Information Specialist. He served in the position until 1969 when he became the Management Assistant at National Capitol Parks-Central. Stanton served as the Superintendent of National Capitol Parks-East from 1970 to 1971 and the Superintendent of Virgin Island National Park in St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands from 1971 to 1974. In 1974, he took over as the Deputy Regional Director for the agency’s Southeast region in Atlanta, Georgia. Stanton returned to D.C. in 1976. He served as the Assistant Director of Resource Management until 1977 when he became the Assistant Director of Park Operations. In 1979, he was appointed the Deputy Regional Director for the National Capitol region, a position he held for the next eight years. He spent a year (1987-1988) as the Associate Director of Park Operations for the Washington Support Office in D.C. In 1988, he served as the Regional Director for the National Capitol Region. Stanton retired from the Park Service in January 1997. By August 1997, the Clinton administration restored him to active duty, making him the first careerist since Russell Dickenson to head the agency. Stanton retired again in January 2001. From 2009 to 2014, he served as the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Policy and Program Management and subsequently as the Senior Advisor to the Interior Secretary in the Department of Interior under the Obama administration. In 2014, President Obama appointed him as an Expert Member of the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation he served in this position for six years.
Stanton received three honorary doctorates from Huston-Tillotson Unity College in Unity, Maine and Southern University and Agricultural and Mechanical College in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He also received numerous awards, including the Department of Interior’s highest award, the Distinguished Service Award.
Robert Stanton has two children, Rhonda and Braniff, with his wife, Janet, and one grandchild, Jordan. He continues to devote much of his time to professional and civic affairs.
Founded in 1946 by Walter Stanton (Walter O. Stanton) the inventor of an easily replaceable phonograph stylus, which helped create a consumer market for audio equipment, Stanton Magnetics was one of the first American companies to make and sell magnetic cartridges. Stanton’s slide-in stylus made it possible for users to replace the needle assembly when it wore out instead of having to send it back to the factory. Audiophiles snapped them up for home use and the invention became one of the basics in phonograph cartridge design.
Stanton Magnetics is an industry leader in the design and manufacture of professional audio products for club, mobile DJs and turntablists. The company’s product range includes turntables, high-performance cartridges, CD players, DJ mixers, accessories and the innovative SC System Controller products. With over 50 years of innovation, Stanton is the name DJ’s trust.
Founded in 1946, Stanton Magnetic's is an industry leader in the design and manufacture of professional audio products for club and mobile DJs and turntablists. The company's product range includes Digital DJ Controller, SC Systems, DJ Packages, CD Players, Mixers, Turntables, Phono Cartridges, Headphones and Accessories. With over 50 years of innovation, Stanton is the name DJs trust.
Stanton DE-247 - History
Author, lecturer, and chief philosopher of the woman’s rights and suffrage movements, Elizabeth Cady Stanton formulated the agenda for woman’s rights that guided the struggle well into the 20 th century.
Born on November 12, 1815 in Johnstown, New York, Stanton was the daughter of Margaret Livingston and Daniel Cady, Johnstown's most prominent citizens. She received her formal education at the Johnstown Academy and at Emma Willard's Troy Female Seminary in New York. Her father was a noted lawyer and state assemblyman and young Elizabeth gained an informal legal education by talking with him and listening in on his conversations with colleagues and guests.
A well-educated woman, Stanton married abolitionist lecturer Henry Stanton in 1840. She, too, became active in the anti-slavery movement and worked alongside leading abolitionists of the day including Sarah and Angelina Grimke and William Lloyd Garrison, all guests at the Stanton home while they lived in Albany, New York and later Boston.
While on her honeymoon in London to attend a World’s Anti-Slavery convention, Stanton met abolitionist Lucretia Mott, who, like her, was also angry about the exclusion of women at the proceedings. Mott and Stanton, now fast friends, vowed to call a woman’s rights convention when they returned home. Eight years later, in 1848, Stanton and Mott held the first Woman’s Rights convention at Seneca Falls, New York. Stanton authored, “The Declaration of Sentiments,” which expanded on the Declaration of Independence by adding the word “woman” or “women” throughout. This pivotal document called for social and legal changes to elevate women’s place in society and listed 18 grievances from the inability to control their wages and property or the difficulty in gaining custody in divorce to the lack of the right to vote. That same year, Stanton circulated petitions throughout New York to urge the New York Congress to pass the New York Married Women’s Property Act.
Although Stanton remained committed to efforts to gain property rights for married women and ending slavery, the women’s suffrage movement increasingly became her top priority. Stanton met Susan B. Anthony in 1851, and the two quickly began collaboration on speeches, articles, and books. Their intellectual and organizational partnership dominated the woman’s movement for over half a century. When Stanton was unable to travel do to the demands of raising her seven children, she would author speeches for Anthony to deliver.
In 1862, the Stantons moved to Brooklyn and later New York City. There she also became involved in Civil War efforts and joined with Anthony to advocate for the 13 th Amendment, which ended slavery. An outstanding orator with a sharp mind, Stanton was able to travel more after the Civil War and she became one of the best-known women’s rights activists in the country. Her speeches addressed such topics as maternity, child rearing, divorce law, married women’s property rights, temperance, abolition, and presidential campaigns. She and Anthony opposed the 14 th and 15 th amendments to the US Constitution, which gave voting rights to black men but did not extend the franchise to women. Their stance led to a rift with other women’s suffragists and prompted Stanton and Anthony to found the National Woman Suffrage Association (NWSA) in 1869. Stanton edited and wrote for NWSA’s journal The Revolution. As NWSA president, Stanton was an outspoken social and political commentator and debated the major political and legal questions of the day. The two major women’s suffrage groups reunited in 1890 as the National American Woman’s Suffrage Association.
By the 1880s, Stanton was 65 years old and focused more on writing rather than traveling and lecturing. She wrote three volumes of the History of Woman Suffrage (1881-85) with Anthony and Matilda Joslyn Gage. In this comprehensive work, published several decades before women won the right to vote, the authors documented the individual and local activism that built and sustained a movement for woman suffrage. Along with numerous articles on the subject of women and religion, Stanton published the Woman's Bible (1895, 1898), in which she voiced her belief in a secular state and urged women to recognize how religious orthodoxy and masculine theology obstructed their chances to achieve self-sovereignty. She also wrote an autobiography, Eighty Years and More, about the great events and work of her life. Stanton died in October 1902 in New York City, 18 years before women gained the right to vote.
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Croatan (AVG-25) was reclassified ACV-25 on 20 August 1942, and CVE-25 on 15 July 1943. She was again reclassified CVHE-25, 12 June 1955 CVU-25, 1 July 1958 and AKV-43, 7 May 1959. She was launched 1 August 1942 by Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Co., Seattle, Wash., under a Maritime Commission contract sponsored by Mrs. J. S. Russell and commissioned 28 April 1943, Captain J. B. Lyon in command.
Sailing from San Diego 2 July 1943, Croatan arrived at Norfolk 19 July. As the nucleus for a hunter-killer group, she sailed 5 August for antisubmarine operations in the Atlantic covering the movement of convoys. Her planes had two skirmishes with surfaced submarines and on 5 September initiated night flying operations from escort carriers. She returned to Norfolk 22 September.
From 17 October to 29 December 1943, Croatan made two voyages to Casablanca ferrying aircraft and plane crews for the North African operations. After another antisubmarine patrol from 14 January to 27 February 1944, she took part in tests with the Naval Research Laboratory at Annapolis. From 24 March to 11 May, Croatan made a most successful patrol. On 7 April, her planes marked out U-856, which was sunk by her escorts Champlin (DD-601) and Huse (DE-145) at 40°18' N., 62°22' W. On the night of 25-26 April, her four escorts joined in sinking U-488 at 17°54' N., 38°05' W. She was also successful in her patrol from 2 June to 22 July. On 10 June, Croatan's planes and escorts Frost (DE-144), Huse, and Inch (DE-146) attacked U-490 and remained in constant contact with it, forcing it to surface the next day. Sixty survivors, including the commanding officer, were rescued before the submarine sank from scuttling charges at 42°47' N., 40°08' W. Aircraft and escorts Frost and Inch combined again to sink U-154 on 3 July, at 34°00' N., 19°30' W.
Following a brief overhaul and radar tests with the Naval Research Laboratory, Croatan put to sea again 20 August 1944. On 15 September, she aided survivors from Warrington (DD-383) who had foundered in a hurricane. Returning to Norfolk 1 October, Croatan next sailed for antisubmarine training at Guantanamo Bay and Bermuda, then proceeded to provide air cover for a high-speed east bound task force, returning to New York 4 February 1945. For the next month, she qualified pilots in carrier operations, then sailed from Norfolk 25 March to join a barrier line to intercept German submarines. On 16 April, her escorts, Frost and Stanton (DE-247) sank U-880 and U-1235 at 47°53' N., 30° 26' W. Croatan returned by way of Argentia, Newfoundland, to New York 14 May for overhaul.
History of Stanton
Stanton began as the convergence of a railroad’s need [to populate its new route from Burlington to Omaha] with the hope of a young Sweden-born pastor to start a new settlement for his fellow immigrants. This pastor, then in Burlington, was born Bengt Magnus Johansson. After coming to Illinois in 1855 he changed his surname to the more distinctive Halland [his home province]. To further his idea of a new settlement he became a railroad agent for that purpose. The details of this story are told in the book GRACIOUS BOUNTY, published in 1952 by farmer-community leader Claus L. Anderson. The railroad named the town “Stanton.” Rev. Halland had hoped for “Halmstad”.
A few settlers came in 1869, then hundreds came in 1870 so that the town and the Lutheran church were both officially organized in the latter year. The Lutheran church [Mamrelund] and also after 1879 the Mission Covenant church were focal points of the community. Later there was also a Methodist Episcopal church [1891-1912]. The building, later remodeled, still stands as a house.
The Lutherans [which in 1870 was everybody] secured the top of the hill for their church and erected it by October 1871. In 1884 a much larger church was built to replace it. This second church was destroyed by fire on August 28, 1938, but the congregation immediately began to plan for a new one which was dedicated May 26, 1940 and still stands.
The Mission Covenant congregation built their first church in 1880, and the present one in 1908. Both Lutheran and Mission Covenant congregations have their own cemeteries.
Stanton has always had its main business street, proceeding north from where the railroad first went through the town [by where the post office is now]. Early stores were made at least mostly of wood so fire was a problem. There were major fires in 1888, 1904 and 1934 and several others. The fires did not destroy Stanton it has always rejuvenated.
The financial decline of many towns in the rural Midwest has affected but not stopped Stanton. The Stanton Area Industrial Foundation was formed in 1970 first to help rebuild the café after a fire. It continued to help stimulate the Stanton economy. In 1988 it started building homes to sell. For this and other reasons the population has remained close to 700.
Agriculture is the dominant business in the community. For most of Stanton’s history every business depended on the farming community [active and retired] to be its main customer base.
The school system has also gone through transitions but survives with many successes in the record. The football team was Iowa eight-man champion in 2007.
Baseball has had a major role in Stanton history. The whole nation has had its romance with the sport, but Stanton has had a closer relationship than usual. One of the highs was in 1936 when the town team played in the national semi-pro tournament. Every year since 1939 [except 1942- 1946] Stanton has held Baseball Day – a day when all of the teams in town played a game sometime that day. Several times an ex-major leaguer came to play with the town team. That list includes Bob Feller, Bobby Richardson, Bob Cerv and Wilmer Mizell. On such occasions the crowd was over 3,000. For many baseball fans it was the event of the year.
There are several symbols and events that celebrate the Swedish connection. The most obvious are Santa Lucia, Skona Maj, the Dala horse, and, of course, the water towers.
The Santa Lucia tradition [now as a contest & program held about December 13] originated in Sicily ca. 300, spread to Sweden and in 1952 was brought to Stanton by the local Entre Nous club. By the rules any girl aged 13-19 and the oldest daughter in the home, may compete for the title. The process includes the girl serving her parents breakfast [at least coffee] in bed, followed by a vote by the community to pick the Santa Lucia Queen. The coronation program highlights the season.
Skona Maj is performed on May 31 every year. A male singing group goes to selected homes and places around Stanton singing certain Swedish songs in Swedish.
The Dala horse is a colorful flat wooden horse figure that can be seen imprinted with the residents’ surname near the front door of many houses. The idea originated in Dalarna, Sweden. They can be purchased at the Swedish Heritage & Cultural Center [SHCC] gift shop.
The water towers have been the most visible symbols, beginning in 1971 when the tower built in 1914 was painted and altered to fit the image of a Swedish coffeepot – “the world’s largest.” In 2002 a second water tower was built to appear as a Swedish cup and saucer. The SHCC now has the coffeepot on its lot and an extensive collection of artifacts and information about Sweden and things Swedish.
The Des Moines Register stated in 2000, with the headline “Stanton’s coffeepot runneth over” – “Visit the town that won’t give up.”
Stanton DE-247 - History
Elizabeth Cady Stanton Trust incorporation papers were signed at Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s grave site in the Woodlawn Cemetery in Bronx, New York
In August 1995, to celebrate the 75th anniversary of women winning the right to vote – the 19th Amendment of the U.S Constitution – the Kentucky Commission on Women, under the leadership of Executive Director Marsha Weinstein, sponsored a suffrage exhibit at the Kentucky State Fair. At this event, Chick and Ceil Harris of St. Louis, Missouri, owners of one of the top women’s suffrage collections in the USA, lent items from their personal collection to be on display.
Three years later, in 1998, Marsha Weinstein had the opportunity to meet Coline Jenkins, the great-great granddaughter of Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and shortly afterwards heard from Chick and Ceil Harris that they wanted to sell their collection.
Eager to secure this national treasure, Marsha and Coline first engaged experts to evaluate the collection, including Curator Emeritus Edith Mayo of the Smithsonian Dr. Ellen Dubois, History Professor at UCLA Christopher Hearn, President of American Political Item Collectors. Once satisfied knowing the historic value of the collection, Marsha and Coline formed a vehicle to own it – the Elizabeth Cady Stanton Trust. On November 12, 1999, Coline Jenkins, Rhoda Jenkins (Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s great granddaughter) and Marsha Weinstein met at the gravesite of Elizabeth Cady Stanton, located in Woodlawn Cemetery, New York City. On this anniversary of Stanton’s birthday, with the sculpted adjoining hands of Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony displayed on Stanton’s original writing desk, they signed the incorporation papers for the formation of the Elizabeth Cady Stanton Trust.
The initial impacts behind the establishment of the Trust was the opportunity to save a national treasure of historic women’s suffrage and political items, the Harris suffrage collection. This collection is comprised of over 3,000 items from the earliest efforts to secure the voting rights of women through the struggle to pass the Equal Rights Amendment. The Trust continues to collect significant items, including items from the 2008 Presidential campaign of Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton and Vice Presidential campaign of Sarah Palin. The three incorporators believe the collection is an important tool in understanding the efforts of our foremothers and their male allies in granting full equality for women.
History of Stanton
Other administrative details: Possible union between the parishes of Stanton All Saints and Stanton St. John the Baptist 17th cent.
Blackbourn Petty Sessional Division
Bury St Edmunds County Court District
Soils: Mixed: A. Slowly permeable seasonally water-logged fine loam over clay. B. Deep fine loam soils with slowly permeable subsoils and slight seasonal water-logging. Some fine/coarse loams over clay. Some deep well drained coarse loam over clay, fine loam and sandy soils
1086 14 acres meadow, wood for 18 pigs, 2 cobs, 3 cattle, 28 pigs, 52 sheep*, 30 goats
1283 517 quarters to crops (4,136 bushels), 72
head horse, 244 cattle, 112 pigs, 395 sheep
1500–1640 Thirsk: Wood-pasture region, mainly pasture, meadow, engaged in rearing and dairying
with some pig keeping, horse breeding and poultry. Crops mainly barley with some wheat, rye, oats, peas, vetches, hops and occasionally hemp.
1818 Marshall: Course of crops varies usually including summer fallow in preparation for corn
1937 Main crops: Wheat, barley, oats, turnips
1969 Trist: More intensive cereal growing and sugar beet.
* ‘A Suffolk Hundred in 1283’, by E. Powell 1910. Concentrates on
Blackbourn Hundred. Gives land usage, livestock and the taxes paid.
1350–1600 Evidence suggest early enclosures in southern sector
1785 1st enclosure bill rejected by freeholders*. Note: 75% of parish enclosed by 1780’s
1800 831 acres enclosed under Private Act of Lands 1798
*‘Opposition to Enclosure in a Suffolk Village’, by D.
Dymond. Suffolk Review Vol.5 (1), p.13.
1958 Small compact development to SE of main road. Appears to have grown around junction of roads to Bardwell, Walsham le Willows, Hepworth. All Saints church centrally situated. Secondary settlement to north of main road. St Johns church separately situated to the south. Settlement also
exists at Upthorpe. The two main areas of development are divided by the main Bury St. Edmunds–Norwich road. Site of disused airfield occupies eastern sector of parish on boundary with Walsham-le-Willows. Scattered farms.
Inhabited houses: 1674 – 75, 1801 – 135, 1851 – 234, 1871 – 218,
1901 – 190, 1951 – 223, 1981 – 770
Roads: To Hepworth, Walsham le Willows, Bardwell, Ixworth and Barningham. Main Bury St. Edmunds–Norwich road (Scole Bridge to Bury St. Edmunds turnpike road 17/18 th cent. By-pass built 1959. 1844:Carrier to Bury St Edmunds on Wednesday and Saturday. Post to Ixworth twice daily
1891/1912: Carrier to Bury St Edmunds on Wednesday and Saturday.
Rail:1891 6½ miles Thurston station. Bury St Edmunds–Cambridge line opened 1846, closed for goods 1964, became unmanned halt 1967.
Air: Shepherds Grove air base: Wartime airbase used by American Air Force. Remained in service
–1956. Land auctioned by Ministry of Defence 1966, part returned to agriculture, remainder converted to industrial estate
1327 – 40 taxpayers paid £3 15s. 4d.
1524 – 41 taxpayers paid £4 17s. 10d.
1662 – 88 householders paid £11 10s. 6 poor persons (receiving alms at Christmas) paid £4 16s.*
* ‘The Hearth Tax Return for the Hundred of Blackbourn 1662’, transcribed by S. Colman. PSIA Vol. XXXII part 2, p.168.
Benefice: Rectory of All Saints with St. James 1831, Discharged Rectory 1891
1254 All Saints: 1 portion valued £6. Portion of St. Faiths 4s. Portion of Almoner of St Edmunds 13s. 4d. Portion of W. de Sengnes £4 £10 17s. 4d
1291 St Johns: Valued £6 13s. 4d. All Saints: Valued £8. Portion of St. Faiths 13s. 4d. Portion of Almoner of St Edmunds in the same £2. £10 13s. 4d. St Johns: Valued £8 6s. 8d.
All Saints was divided into two half rectories (no dates)
1452 All Saints rectories consolidated
1535 All Saints valued £9 6s. 0½ d. St. Johns valued £9 4s. 8d.
1736 Rectories of All Saints and St. Johns consolidated
1831 Glebe house. Joint gross income £657 p.a.
1839 Modus of £977 2s. 7d. awarded in lieu of tithes
1887 31 acres 0R 10P glebe. Joint rent charge of £985 in lieu of tithes
1891 33 acres glebe and commodious residence
1912 Nett value £500 p.a. 31 acres glebe and residence
Patrons: Sir Robert Jermyn (1603), R.E. Lofft (1831), W R. Foster (1912)
Church All Saints - Said to have held a saint called St. Parnell which was subject to Medieval pilgrimage (Dictionary of Saints, extract in parish folder)
(Chancel, nave, S. aisle, W. tower with porch)
1086 Church plus 4 acres. Church plus 28 acres and 4th part of church plus 7 acres
1906 Tower top fell in (suggested tower was detached, linked to main building in 14th cent.) Seats: 250 appropriated, 150 free (1873)
Chapel: Existed near to Stanton Hall in Middle Ages in ownership of Bury monks.
(Chancel, nave, W. tower – built on 2 arches facing N and S)
1616 Chancel virtually rebuilt
1785 Clause in Inclosure Bill for demolition
1810 Described as in very bad repair
1817/1819 and 1850’s Restorations
1962 Abandoned and roof removed
1977 Responsibility of Redundant Churches Fund. Seats: 200 appropriated, 100 free (1873)
1593 3 recusants ‘obstinatlie refuse to come to publique prayer and hearings of the worded god preached’. 2 persons negligent in receiving communion for 12 months.
1606 1 single woman refuses to attend church and is described as ‘supposed to be dangerously infected with most points of ‘popery’
1611 2 persons negligent in attending church
1796–1846 6 houses set aside for worship
1839 Wesleyan Chapel built, demolished by 1891, new chapel built on new site 1885. Seats 200
1880 Primitive Methodist Chapel built
1066/1086 Manor of 1 carucate belonging to the Abbot of St.Edmunds
1539. Sir Thomas Jermyn owns (linked to Bradfield Combust, Rougham, Lt. Whelnetham and Bardwell)
c.1579 Sir Arthur Capel owns
c.1781 Capel Loffts owns and remained with the Loffts family until early 20th cent. (linked to Troston)
Sub-manors: Stanton St. John, Michfields and Badwells
14th cent. Edmund de Stanton owns
Late 15th cent. John Ashfield owns
1533 Thomas Jermyn owns (absorbed by All Saints)
1759 Fair for toys held on 11th June
c.1784 Hiring fairs held at Cock Inn
1792/1805 Pedlary fair held on 31st May
1844 Fair for pleasure and pedlary held on Whit Monday
1872 Fair held on 31st May for pleasure and pedlary abolished by 1891
1844 R.E. Lofft and Mrs. Vautier plus small owners
1891 R.E. Lofft, principal owner
1912 A. Maitland Wilson and Surgeon Bros. Ltd., principal Owners
1662 Gamaliel Capell DD has property with 6 hearths
1891/1912 Rev. H.S. Dudding MA
1550–1599 1 mercer, 6 husbandmen, 5 yeomen, 1 labourer, 1 tailor, 1 lime burner, 2 shepherds, 1 parson
1600–1649 1 clerk, 1 butcher, 6 husbandmen, 16 yeomen, 3 labourers, 1 spinster, 1 tailor, 1 bricklayer, 1 clothier, 1 shepherd, 2 carpenters, 1 brickmaker, 1 innholder, 1 timber master
1650–1699 1 clerk, 1 butcher, 3 husbandmen, 25 yeomen, 4 thatchers, 2 labourers, 1 cooper, 1 glover, 1 spinster, 2 tailors, 1 bricklayers, 2 grocers, 1 collar maker, 1 carpenter, 2 innholders, 1 wheelwright, 1 blacksmith, 1 chirurgeon/surgeon, 1 joiner
1831 149 in agriculture, 55 in retail trade, 4 professionals, 38 in labouring, 39 in domestic service, 24 others
1844 Collar/harness maker, 3 victuallers, gardener, maltster, farrier, gamekeeper, 3 beerhouse keepers, 4 academics, 3 bakers, 3 blacksmiths, 4 boot/shoemakers, 3 bricklayers, 2 carpenters, lime burner, 4 corn millers, 19 farmers, 6 grocers, 2 tailors, 2 surgeons, 2 wheelwrights
1912 Sub-postmistress, schoolmaster, police officer, 2 beer retailers, blacksmith, carpenter, 2 bakers, shoemaker, miller (wind), 14 farmers, grocer/draper/outfitter/newsagent, bricklayer, shopkeeper/photographer, tailor, girls school proprietor, builder, 2 farm bailiffs, 2 shopkeepers, 4 publicans, saddler, wheelwright, grocer, blacksmith/ironmonger/rate collector, engineers and
threshing machine proprietor, shoemaker, agricultural engineers, gamekeeper, butcher
c.1966 Shepherds Grove Industrial Estate situated on site of former airfield, accommodates a variety of light industrial businesses
c.1981 Shetland Boats, closed 1982
1794 1 Sunday school existed
1818 3 day schools (53 attend), 1 Sunday school (40 attend)
1833 2 daily schools (45 attend), 1 boarding establishment (established 1823) (20 boys attend), 1 Sunday school (60–100 attend)
1844 4 Academies, 3 of which take boarders
1876 School built to accommodate 200
1877 Public Elementary school built, average attendance 1912 150, closed 1980
1912 Girls school run by Mrs Octavia Hazlewood
1974 Blackbourne Middle School opened
1980 New primary school opened, retained original bell from former school
1840 7 acres called Chilsaw Croft (ancient acquisition) and 5 acres called Thorns (acquired 1631), lands let at £20 p.a. applied to repair of churches
Town Houses:1779 House and cottage acquired occupied by poor persons
Tricker’s Charity: 1605 By will of Catherine Tricker: lands let at £2 p.a. formerly distributed in bread and money
Firmage’s Charity: 1611 By will of William Firmage: 1 acre 2R 32P called Little Seal, Rattlesden let at £1 11s. applied to purchase of coals
Poors Allotments: 1840 2 allotments of 32 acres and 12 acres respectively awarded on enclosure let at £90 p.a. applied to purchase of coals
1779 Town House purchased, occupied by poor rent free 1844
1803 Friendly Society (27 members)
1891 Police officer listed
19th cent. ‘Pest house’ in existence
1912 Loyal Order of Ancient Shepherds
17th cent. 2 innholders recorded
1844 The Rose & Crown, The Cock Inn and The George Inn public houses, 3 beerhouses
1891 3 beerhouses, The Rose & Crown, The George, The Cock and The Horseshoes public houses
1912 As 1891 except the Horseshoes public house has become the Three Horseshoes and there are only 2 beer retailers
1977 ‘Stanton and Hepworth Scout Group: 30 years of scouting’
1979 The Angel public house
Hervey de Stanton (d.1327) founder of Michaelhouse, Cambridge and was Chancellor of Exchequer
Edward Capell (1713–1781) born at Troston Hall. Distinguished commentary on Shakespeare. Held office of Deputy Inspector of Plays.
Capel Lofft (1751–1824) – ‘Capel Lofft, some genealogical notes’, by H. Hawes. Suffolk Review Vol.3 part 3, p.86.
‘The Man who knew everyone – Capel Lofft’ by R.L. Healey. Suffolk Fair (Nov. 1984) p.22.
‘The Life of Capel Loff, communicated by himself’. The Monthly Mirror (1802) contained in Bury Pamphlets Vol.VI.
’Church and Parish Messenger’ 1975 –
‘The Churches of Stanton, Suffolk’, by D. Dymond 1977.
Ann Avery (26) supposedly murdered by Thomas Hammond 1794 although he was found not guilty and acquitted. ‘The Turnip Field Murder, Stanton’ contained in ‘Some Suffolk Murders’ by R. Deeks.
‘Roman settlement at Stanton Chair (Chare), Nr. Ixworth, Suffolk’ by G. Maynard and B. Brown. PSIA Vol.22, p.339.
Large heath existed of 375 acres in northern sector of parish 1780’s.
Shepherds Grove Caravan Park 20th cent., situated off the Upthorpe Road.
Village Hall, known as Shepherds Hall, sold 1981, built c.1910.
Village sign unveiled 1986.
16th cent. thatched bakery, run for approx. 100 years by Miller family, destroyed by fire 1975.
Field Court home for the elderly opened 1974.
19th cent. post mill 1760 situated at Upthorpe Hill, built 1807. Grade II listed. First recorded on site 1760. Last example of Norfolk type in existence which is complete.
Search for Your Family by Place
Are you from Saint-Cuthbert? Do you have ancestors from there? Tell us YOUR story!Search Daily News Sign In/Out My Account My Family Tree My Bookmarks Get Started
This FREE genealogy website is a collection of contributions from many generous "family" members who want to share their family with others. We are not necessarily related to or researching a person just because their name is on this site. While we do our best to be accurate, we sometimes make mistakes. Please use this information as a guide. Verify the information with your own research. If you find any errors, please email us and report them. Thanks!